Under sink water filters

On Thu 08 Jul 2010 05:24:01p, JimT told us...

Yeah, that's a good point.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Years ago I did alot of research and settled on Everpure , Our military, a few airlines, a few fast food chains use them. They are quality metal brackets with long life cartriges of various types that remove easily and dont leak, mine is maybe 15 yrs old. I think my last cartrige was replaced in 07. Of all the units I looked at the 200 and

300 model removed more things and at a higher percentage than others I looked into. I had RO and junked it since its overkill for my city water and it wasted about 1.5 gal for every gallon made, so it was a pain in the ass when I needed alot of water and it was always wasting water. RO is good for crapy water but the filters are even more expensive and dont last as long as Everpures system. To know if you need RO or just a good single stage you need a test done, but if its city water a single stage should be all you need and keep you healthy. You city water dept should be of help
Reply to
ransley

All I use is a standard filter housing for the 10" cartridges and use the carbon filters. If you have basement under the kitchen, install the filter there as it is easier to work and to access.

Our town water has a swampy taste to it. The carbon filters work very well, easier and cheaper than RO. Every home store carries them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Thu 08 Jul 2010 08:09:00p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

I didn't need an RO system, but I did put in a 3 cartridge unit under the sink. One is carbon, another is for sediment as we seem to get a bit of grit or sand in our water, and the third is for some kind of microscopic critters I was told were often found in our water.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I installed a similar filter housing in my kitchen approximately 15 years ago. Many different filter cartridges are readily available and the last time I bought several, they were $11 each; some are good to

0.5 microns. Most are rated to last 6 months or 3000 gallons. The reduction in flow rate is noticeable, but tolerable. It works very well at removing the chlorine/chloramine smell and taste from the city water.
Reply to
RosemontCrest

I installed a similar filter housing in my kitchen approximately 15 years ago. Many different filter cartridges are readily available and the last time I bought several, they were $11 each; some are good to

0.5 microns. Most are rated to last 6 months or 3000 gallons. The reduction in flow rate is noticeable, but tolerable. It works very well at removing the chlorine/chloramine smell and taste from the city water.
Reply to
RosemontCrest

Hi, I installed one with RO based. Two filters before and two more after. Last stage is UV tube. Maybe over kill but while I am at it and cost difference is not a big deal, why not?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I prefer mine under the sink, under the floor, in the basement, hung from the ceiling. Much easier to maintain and change filters in the basement. RO filters work great and water tastes good when chilled.

Reply to
LSMFT

That's a screwing. You can get the filters and the membrane from Home Depot for $25.00 The membrane will last for years actually.

Reply to
LSMFT

I'm sure it all depends on your system and your needs. I've invested over $5k in my aquarium. I'm not intersted in cheap.

Reply to
JimT