TV turns off plugged into surge protector

I have a very inexpensive surge protector with my digital cable box and 19" CRT tv plugged into it. Last night, about 1 min after I turned the tv on, it turned off and would not turn back on. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and the same thing happened again. So I got out a power strip and plugged it into the same wall outlet. I plugged the tv into the power strip and the tv worked normally. What does this mean? Is something wrong with the surge protector or the tv? The cable box works fine plugged into the surge protector.

Reply to
Jo

Just the surge protector is the problem. It may have a bad plug or connection to the plug.

Likely that plug is functional, the other for the TV is not. Try a new surge protector. Better yet, have a surge protector installed in your electric service panel and end the problem permanently.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I don't like the idea of a whole house unit because if it goes you will be without electricity until fixed. It happened to a neighbor. I had a lot of individual units fried in a voltage surge but equipment was protected. If the light in the surge protector no longer works, it should be replaced. One of those "el cheapo's" cost me a microwave oven.

Reply to
Frank

Buy another surge protector.

Reply to
A. Baum

Reply to
HeyBub

As it turns out, it's the tv that's the problem. It's turning off when plugged into the power strip. It doesn't turn off all the time though. Last night it turned off twice and then it was ok. But, I can't turn it on again until I unlug it from the power strip for several seconds or I turn the power strip off for several seconds. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Reply to
Jo