Tub cracks and support

I just moved into my house and I noticed in the tub, there are a few small hairline cracks about 3" close and parallel to each other, on where you would stand. I could hear a little squeak when stepping into the shower.

The house is single story with crawl space. I am new to this, so I would like to know what is under the tub, will it be accessable under the crawl space for me to add extra support like shim or spray foam?

I don't think the water is getting through but I would like to fix the support issue and then repair the cracks. As opposed of replacing the whole tub as funds are limited

Thanks for any advice..

Reply to
jj3000

Save your money and time. You'll need it because the only way I would suggest is to rip it out and redo the flooring. I did this a year ago it cost me some money But at least I know its right.

Underneath should be a a type of Subflooring, OSB 3/4?

Why spray foam? Trying to insullate something. Don't do this it could crack worse.

Shim? You won't be able to do this from below most likely. Prob. have to go in from the rear or side.

No you can't acess this getting under the house. Buy a book about home repair from local store. You can learn alot and save alot of money this way.

I put in a whirlpool tub and had to set it in on concrete.

Reply to
Brian

JJ,

There actualluy is a way to fix your cracks and support the tub. I d this type of work for a living, so I am a pro at this stuff. Even i you hire someone it will still cost way way less than riping it out an replacing it. When looking into the prices of new tubs dont forget yo will have to do sheetrock, flooring, painting and other plumbin problems that can occur from tub replacment. to get back to repairin it, you WILL NEED to support the tub bottom before fixing the cracks. If you can see the bottom of the tub or can add support with 2x4 d that. Or get structural foam and spray it right under the tub betww the tub bottom and plywood. For the cracks you will need to dreme them out and fill them with body filler and then spray it with matchin gelcoat. If you dont feel %100 confident in yourself doing it, hir someone, because you can screw things up. Oh and to end things if i is done right(like my work) the repair will last forever

-- PS

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to