Trying to GC my own bathroom. A couple questions.

Hi,

I've been unable to find a contractor I can afford or am comfortable with for my bathroom so I decided to "general contractor" it myself. I'm OK with it taking a long time, but still I have this feeling that I don't know what I'm getting into. Please let me know if my sequencing is correct:

  1. Demolition
  2. Plumbing (drains and rough-in's)
  3. Electrical
  4. Drywal and wonderboard
  5. Wetbed and tile
  6. Build curb for frameless shower glass
  7. Install vanity and all plumbing fixtures and trim.
  8. Prime and paint.

I'm not clear whether I've got 4, 5, and 6 in the right order.

And I appreciate all comments, including telling to forget the whole project altogether.

Thanks.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

The shower floor (wetbed?) needs to go in before the wonderboard for the shower walls.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

A to-scale plan will bring many issues to light as well. No doubt you have already done one up, but it never hurts to double check.

Reply to
Mamba
4 comes after 5 and 6. Also check with the town to see when inspections have to be done, Also, the glass shower door can not be ordered untill the tile and curb are finished. Also remember that some of your fixtures can have long lead times. You might want to add: Order a dumpster.
Reply to
noname87

In between 1 and 2 add Rough framing (sistering floor joists if necessary, making corrections to wall framing, etc.). Consider replacing window, insulating walls and vapor barrier issues.

When you get to the shower build and tile, I highly recommend you check out the Tile Advice Forums at

. There's a great bunch of people there ready to help.

Also consider installing radiant heat under the tile floor.

Doing a bathroom yourself is an excellent opportunity to learn all the "trades" in one little space, and build a nice library of tools. :)

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

He didn't mention permits or inspections. Don't throw gas on the fire. His town may not even require such bs.

S. Barker

Be prepared for things that you may find after all of the old bathroom is removed. A rotting floor is not unusual to find especially under the tub.

It is a good thing to have all of your fixtures available during construction so that proper measurements can be taken. If you cannot have everything available during the framing make sure that you have cut sheets and precise measurements for everything.

I would suggest that you install light fixtures, exhaust fan trim, switches, and receptacles (GFI of course) after the painting is done. Have the electrician put in some temporary pigtail sockets so everyone can work with some light.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Thank you all very much! Everything is very useful.

I'll post some pics and a few more questions as I go forward!

Thank you.

Reply to
Aaron Fude