Troy Bilt Edger/ Tiller / Weed eater

Anybody have any options on the new Troy Bilt line of trimmers and edgers with the interchangeable attachments. On the surface it seems like a good idea, but I have a feeling that I'll quickly regret not buying a regular edger or cultivator.

Rob Magrino

Mike Cummins

I have a different tool.

It does a great job.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is the Ryobi unit with a new name. I just replaced my 10 year old motor and trimmer with the new Troy-Bilt model. All my old attachments continue to work just fine. I gave the old unit to my son. It is still working fine. The only reason for replacing was I wanted a straight shaft and thought I would get a new motor at the same time. The only thing I did to it in 10 years was have the carb rebuilt and change the spark plug once.

The edger works fine if the walks have been edged at least once with a spade to remove any compacted soil. The tiller is a little work horse. It is a tad more tiresome on the back than a mantis type but we only work up a few flower beds each year. If it has a limitation it's that it only tills about

4-6" deep. For small area you can move the soil around with the tiller to dig deeper.

Happy shopping.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks all, I'm checking out the mantis. Sounds great since I already own a string trimmer.

Reply to
Rob Magrino

I bought the Ryobi 4 cycle trimmer and the cultivator head. The 4 cycle is a bit heavier the the 2 cycle but the increase in torque is well worth the weight penalty. Much cleaner and quieter running too.

The cultivator is a tough little unit that does a good job cultivating. A bargain for $70.00. It's no tiller though.

Lenny

Reply to
Leonardo