Trouble starting Honda generator

Starter fluid is primarily for getting diesels running in extreme cold temperatures when it's not possible to plug in the block heater for a couple hours prior to starting.

Hmm, an auto parts store sells it, therefore it must be okay to use on your car... Extra points for use of 3rd grade logic.

If a car is so difficult to get going that you NEED starter fluid, it's very very close to death.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Years ago, I know a fellow who sprayed ether into the spark plug hole (my Dad's next door neighbor, trying to help my Dad get his generator started.) Sadly, the generator piston locked up. Dad bought another generator, and gave me the old one. I broke it free with a big wrench on the flywheel nut. Then, it started, ran for half a second, and threw a piston rod and broke a hole thorugh the crankcase wall. I learned to relube the cylinder wall by squirt in some two stroke oil when a cylinder wall is dried by ether.

I also learned that spraying some ether on the air filter will help balky generators start. I've done that several times since then.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you refer to oil wash, use Either that comes with oil, mine has it, and as far as you saying you have Major problems if you need Either, Yea like No gas flow, just a minor temporary one.

Reply to
ransley

Lost compression. And no electricity to high tension wire. any suggestion?

Reply to
aderije57

Is it old and well-used?

Reply to
Bill

Could it be a head gasket?

Reply to
Bill

Any chance of you providing a bit more information ? : model ? age ? : history - how many hours ? regular maintenance ? ... just sayin' . John T.

Reply to
hubops

The recoil starter is slipping. Therefore you are not actually testing compression or spark.

You can get help at the "Smokstak" website, but you will need to provide more information about your generator.

Reference

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie