trimming out a basement door next to concrete walls

I just installed an exterior door at the bottom of a basement bulkhead. I framed out the opening for the door using PT 2X4s since the boards rest (end grain down) on a concrete floor. The pre-hung door sits on a bed of silicone caulk and I nailed it in place to the

2X4s with galvanized finish nails.

I now want to trim out the door to give it a nicer look and so that I can insulate between the jambs and the rough opening. What is the usual advice here? I could use PT for the trim since I will have the same end grain problem with the trim that I had with the framing for the rough opening. Also, the edges of the trim will be touching concrete since the basement where the door is installed is not a finished area. I am not sure if having wood touch concrete on an edge is a problem.

So, I see two potential solutions. One, use PT 1X4s for the trim. I will not have to worry about moisture from the concrete, but the idea of PT trim seems a bit weird. Painting wet PT does not sound too useful.

Two, use pine trim as I would for a normal interior door and keep the bottom of the trim 1/8" off the floor. This solution is more easily painted, which is nice, but will have pine edges touching concrete. No end grain issues here, but are pine edges that touch concrete prone to moisture absorption?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If you at least prime the trim (all sides and ends) before you mount it you will be fine unless the concrete is really damp, and probably even then.

If you are really worried about it, use PVC trim. Can't tell the difference when painted and moisture won't bother it a bit. It's as easy to work with as pine.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Not sure how well the bare ends (assuming a cut) of PT will like a potentially damp surface. If there is uncolored wood exposed, it may not have had the PT protectant applied to it.

When I had a similar setup with wood on bare floors (my wood had cut ends and floor had been dampened), I braced the wall weight off the floor and used a fat blade on a Sawzall to trim the bottom edge off the lumber. Then I shimmed in chunks of composite shingles as a replacement and moisture barrier. Naturally, things we unfinished, so it was pretty easy. So far so good.

Reply to
Mamba