tree hooks

I have a tree limb I want cut off. It is about a 1000 lbs branch at a 30 degree incline off the vertical and 20 ft off the ground. I was wondering if there is an attachment one could make to a tree which would hold a chain saw which would complete the cut. I have a guy who cuts my trees, but turned down the work. How much should I offer for that sort of job? I know that people suspend themselves off trees or ladders, but I'd feel much better if someone were to just build a mechanism which holds a chain saw in place which just completes a cut. Is there such a thing? I have seen attachments to a backhoe but I don't want anything like that in my hard because of the irrigation and sewer lines in the yard. I'd feel much better knowing that everyone is far away from the tree when the branch falls off.

Reply to
Deodiaus

I'd think dropping a half ton on your yard from 20 feet might not be good for stuff either. Good tree cutter would tie it off to prevent damage on dropping.

Reply to
Frank

This might seem obvious, but I have trouble imagining that a pro would even think about cutting this branch off all at once...

I've done this myself by climbing out on the branch with a chainsaw and cutting off a section at a time (not enough at once to risk catapulting myself across the yard). Even though it wasn't that high, I tied myself off to the branch...on the correct side of the cut. :)

This was a thick, healthy branch where I had no question about it holding me. I still wouldn't exactly recommend this approach...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Oh, and if I needed this done and didn't enjoy climbing as much, I'd rent a cherry picker or hire someone who had one. I'd still cut it into sections (would have to be done later anyway).

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Indeed.

I'm not in the tree business, but I know they prefer to be able to bring equipment in. The more they can bring in, the cheaper they can do the job. If there is access, some plywood sheets or other material should distribute the load to prevent damage.

We had lots of damage here from branches falling off in the October snow storm.

Reply to
Dan Espen

pole saws generally go to 10 to 15 feet.it might be possible to buy a longer one

or you could use a rope chain saw. its hunk of chain saw chain with a rope on either end.... add extra rope and you could stand far enough away from the falling limb that it wouldnt be a hazard.

you would need to throw a stone with a string attached over the limb scheduled for removal. it will be hard work since the chain will cut slowly being only hand powered. plus the limb will likely tear rather than cut clear. this will necessiate multiple cuts

Reply to
bob haller

Deodiaus wrote in news:8859c77c-f7c1-40e8-9ec8- snipped-for-privacy@v1g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

He did???? WHY? Were you arguing about the price? Is he a one-man show?

It doesn't matter whether the branch weighs 10,000 lbs or 1 lb. /Any/ tree guy knows how to take them down properly.

I've watched them take down 100-year-old oaks with branches that must be

100,000 lbs each. For a tree like that, they bring in a crew. That way there's enough manpower for one guy to do the cutting while the others control the piece and bring it down safely. They're cutting it bit-by-bit, from the outside in, eventually leaving only the trunk behind. And this in the middle of an old part of town with alleys, narrow streets, cars everywhere, and houses close together.
Reply to
Tegger

No, there is no such attachement that I know of (30+ years of semi pro chainsawing).

You might try renting a powered "man lift" and cut it off standing in that. In general, unless you are very familiar with chainsaws, you shouldn't even attempt to do it yourself.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

We had a lot of pine branches down near the house a few years ago due to snow so we had half dozen cut down. My tree guy sent in a crew of cutters that downed the trees and ground branches. Then he brought in a hauler to take heavy trunks but before driving over front lawn he put down large plastic mats. When he was done the lawn was hardly touched. Previous years, he took down a large maple near the house and had a guy climb the tree with a chain saw, tie of branches to lower to ground without damaging house or nearby rail fence.

A few years ago a 75 year old neighbor died when a downed tree he was cutting fell on him. I also met a tree cutter that had a bad fall and a life of drug addiction followed. It is a dangerous business.

Then I know of el cheapo tree cutters, couple of guys with pick up and chain saw, that have dropped trees on driveways cracking them not to mention that they have no liability insurance.

Some things are best left to the pros.

Reply to
Frank

I had a friend seriously injured using a similar method.

He was on a ladder, and the ladder was on the correct side of the cut.

But he didn't predict that when the weight of the limb was removed, the remaining part on the ladder side would spring up.

Best to know what you're doing before you try this stuff at home.

Reply to
TimR

Agree. My new house was damaged -- bent window and broken siding -- when a landscaper working next door decided to cut down a dead tree. He didn't know how to tie the tree and didn't know how to cut the tree so that it would fall in a particular direction. Use an expert.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Yeah, while like I said, I don't exactly recommend my approach, I felt safer climbing than using a ladder. Too many things can go wrong (like the part you just cut swinging and taking the ladder out, or hitting the ground and bouncing.)

Reply to
Larry Fishel

All the OP needs to do is park his car under the limb when it falls. The car will absorb the shock of the fall and that will avoid doing damage to the lawn. because the car springs and tires will absorb the impact. :)

Reply to
tangerine3

Reply to
Deodiaus