Treating well with chlorine in house with soft water system

My well water smells. Although I'm having it tested, I believe it's choliform contamination, so I'm going to treat the well with bleach. I'm going to follow the procedures here:

However, do I bypass the soft water system during treatment, or do I let the treated water go through the softwater system?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob in CT

According to Bob in CT :

I don't think it matters. Softener systems handle small amounts of chlorine in normal operation (salt ions) anyway.

It's probably best to keep it in-circuit, just in case you're growing something in the softener too.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I thought so, too, but just wanted to see if there were any "I did that and my softwater system melted!" opinions. (Which of course I'd take with a grain of salt.) Thank you!

Reply to
Bob in CT