Trapping flies - indoors?

I was hoping someone can give me some useful advice for trapping insects - mainly flies - indoors. Possibly mosquitoes? I already have an outdoor flytrap that works exceptionally well - I could not ask for more. Because of the horrendous smell, there is no way at all I am even considering using this type of trap inside my house, as it would make me feel sick. I won't even consider trying this. Can anyone give me some advice of a "relatively" odour-free indoor flytrap? One thing I have noticed is flies seem to buzz around windows a fair bit. I would truly appreciate some advice. Thankyou.

Reply to
shazlikd

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au a =E9crit :

there exist light trap, its like a lamp that emit a light to attract the flie, but the flies get to close the got zap by either electricity or heat.. also they exist electronic repulsion devices that emits low frequency that suposely chase insects from the area.

system21 u568567

Check out his game Galactic Conquest

Reply to
system21networks

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote in news:1166939906.827555.290830 @i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Take an empty clear small-mouthed bottle, like a soda bottle - 12 oz. or so. Or use a wide-mouthed bottle with a small hole in the lid. Add some water (maybe a half a cup) and enough sugar to well sweeten it. The flies will enter the bottle but usually cannot find their way out. The more flies in the bottle - dead or alive - the more it seems to attract others.

Reply to
Ken Knecht

Old-fashioned fly paper. It looks terrible but has no strong smell and is cheap and easily disposable.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

I have some I use at my cabin both for wasps and flies. It works good for either.

They look like a mayonnaise jar, and have a black plastic lid that has holes in it. Once the insect goes in, it has a hard time finding its way out.

I have tried all sorts of things for bait: orange juice, orange soda, root beer, sugar water........... but the thing that works the best for me is plain apple juice. Just about an inch in the bottom of the jar.

I got mine at Ace Hardware. They have an eye so you can hang it up. Not fancy, but they work, are cheap, and are easy to clean out.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I collect antique bottles. Anything before the automated machines started making them.

I have one unusual hand blown fly trap from India. I would estimate it is at least 100 years old, and probably closer to 150.

Imagine if you would, a pear shaped piece of molten glass, but only the outer skin of the pear. Now, while it is molten, you push up on the bottom, making both an indentation and a hole in the middle. This will create a sort of a donut looking trough inside the pear.

They used fruit juices as bait. The flies would fly in through the bottom hole, get tired of banging around inside the glass, and drown in the liquid. Easy to clean out.

Amazing how some of the simplest solutions work the best.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yep, an open a window/door and they fly away. Flies will, in my experience fly towards light after dark if you have all lights off inside, so open up and let them out.

Turn on the outside light, allow the fly(s) to gather near the door, open and they escape.

It was fun once to see a fly tied to a sewing thread. They just hover there in space.

-- Oren

Oren

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au wrote in news:1166939906.827555.290830 @i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Have some fun. Use a vacuum cleaner. Approach slowly when they sit. They feel the suction and hold on. Closer you get they hold on more. Then they cannot let go because they will get sucked in....5 seconds sooner than when you are on them.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Ever heard of a "pitcher plant"?

Venus flytrap is the commonly nown one, but there are many others.

Lots of them on the Southern Oregon coast.

They trap and digest flies.

Many available commercially.

jJim McLaughlin

I've heard that those aren't that easy to raise or keep. In fact I've also heard that some of them don't smell too wonderful either and might exacerbate the problem as they attract more that just flies to them. They don't eat that much so the insects inside may overwhelm it. That's just what I've heard though, I'd always wondered about using them to control indoor flies and mosquitos.

Reply to
Eigenvector

^One thing I have noticed is flies seem to buzz around windows a fair bit.^

Screens are there ? Do you keep the windows open ? Do you live in an old attic / barn type structure ?

Reply to
PCOpug