Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

Try "California definition "hazardous waste"

This site

gave this definition:

=93waste=94 is a material that has been used or has otherwise served its intended purpose and, for whatever reason, can or will no longer be used. In the Title 22 CCR, a waste is defined as any discarded material (in any form, such as solid, liquid, semi-solid, or contained gas) that is not excluded by Section 66261.4(a), 66261.4(e), or

25143.2(b) or 25143.2(d).

So my prior comment was correct: as long as it is still fit for use and is not effectively "discarded" it's not waste. Now what you have to worry about is the limit for storing inflammables.

This search

california maximum gasoline storage limit

Produced this page from Chevron:

With this quote:

One and two and five gallon containers should carry a sticker indicating they are approved for gasoline storage by the Underwriters Laboratories (UL). A plastic container has the advantage that it will not rust if the gasoline is contaminated with water or if the container is stored in a wet place.

A 60-gallon metal drum is the only container approved by the Uniform Fire Code for the storage of more than five gallons of gasoline.

The Uniform Fire Code limits the amount of gasoline in residential buildings to the amount "necessary for maintenance purposes and operation of equipment," not to exceed a maximum of 25 gallons.

Note that local Fire Department regulations may supersede the Uniform Fire Code. When storing more that five gallons of gasoline it is best to check with your local Fire Department for local regulations.

So there is no problem for 5 gallons, you probably won't have a problem up to 25 - which is 5 five-gallon cans - but if it's more than that you are going to need to use a drum and probably a local permit or ok from the Fire Marshall.

Reply to
Paul Robinson

"Paul Robinson" wrote

Similar rules in MA. We can have all the hydraulic oil we want to have in machines. We can have drums of new oil to replace it with as needed. But, as soon as we take it out of a machine and put it back in a drum, it becomes hazardous waste, needs permitting to store and dispose of and has limits on how much we can have (3 drums in our case). Disposal must be with a licensed hauler, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Strange. Don't the storm drains in your neighborhood need lubricating?

Reply to
HeyBub