Trane XL19i, hype worth the cost?

Trane is offering "up to" $1k rebate on select "high-efficieny" a/c models. I've got a Home Depot rep coming out soon to give us a quote. My guess is that the rebate will only apply to the 19-seer XL19i model. Does anyone have any opinions on this model? Is it worth the cost? I've read that it is much more than comparable models. Is this

2-level controller a lot better to have? Or risky that it will fail, because it's too new?
Reply to
Claudia

Jim85CJ

First of all, and most important, Home Depot DOES NOT sell Trane. They are a 3rd party that takes your money for you giving them your name, so they can call the same Trane rep in your phone book, and send HIM out, so they can charge you MORE.

And No...Trane has a great marketing reputation, but as far as being worth it....all units are garbage, its up to the installer to make it work right. And no, as a professional, I would NEVER own one of those overpriced, hard to get parts for, and pay 4X what the part is worth units.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

AMEN!!!

What would you own? Because you sell them? High Seer worth it, even if it means installing a better duct system? Finally---I have hotwater baseboard heat and am well satisfied. Separate A/C was installed when I bought the house. Time for renewal. Would you pay the extra money for a heat pump as a back up and because it could be cheaper at cooler, but not below freezing temps (at which time I could turn on the boiler)? TIA

Reply to
royroy

Electricity is going to cost more in the future so you will see the benefit of the higher seer, get the extended warranty offered 10 yr. And be sure they do a load calculation and give it to you in writing. A new unit may require a different size for efficiency and comfort

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Stay away from Home Depot! I cannot stress that enough - what a bunch of thieves. I had them come out and give me an estimate on a 1900 sq.ft. roofing job...tear-off and shingles and new alumininum gutters . Average price 4-5K, Home Depot 12K! New hot water heater (Lifetime garantee) - myself $400, local plumber &600, Home Depot $1800.00. New Burnham boiler local $3000, with dual zone controls; HD, single thermostat, $7800.00. Do your homework, get bids and use reliable local help.

Reply to
Steve the Sauropodman

Many years ago, about 30, we installed central A/C. After studying all the brands available we reduced the choice to General Electric or Carrier. Both had pluses and few negatives. We went with the GE. It lasted about 23 years before it failed.

We checked on replacements with the help of the internet, and found that GE was built by Trane/American Standard. They were selling a much more efficient version of the same compressor. Others may have a new and better equipment, but I find them untried in the long run. Trane's older design compressor has proven itself in my old unit, so we went with Trane for a replacement. The result was a reduction in my electric bill and a reliable system for the past 6 years.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I own what I sell, and I sell what I do because after years in the trade, there was ONE brand that had fewer warranty issues than any other brand out of the box that we saw. There was one brand that kept coming up all the time in the newsletters as being installed in some pretty big installs..and there was one brand that gave the best damn customer support I had ever seen, and at the time, this was in the deserts of CA. York.

Amercian Standard/Trane is already scrambling to try to beat the new Affinity...and cant so far.

Depends. Wont matter in 2006, as the ARI standard is leaving the current

10SEER min and going to raise it to 13SEER. In other words, you buy a 12 SEER now, and in under 2 years, you have stuff that no one makes any more, and is antique...10SEER units are not even in production now by a few companies in the slower moving sizes.

Right now, I would be looking at 14 and higher SEER units.

Depending on your rate, and location in the country, a heat pump with an outdoor stat that would shut the unit off below the temp that the units reached its COP might be cheaper yet to run than your boiler. In my part of the country, you cant get cheaper heat than a heat pump.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

I live in Virginia Beach, and based on your address you must be close. Anyplace on the www I can read about the above kind of installation. Thanks again for such a thorough answer

Reply to
royroy

Kinda close, down in Davidson County NC...Lexington area.

And not a problem about the answer...hop eit helps..

Reply to
*CBHVAC*