How to move the sludge in Boiler/Pipes?

Hi,

I tried to drain and flush the central heating but the sludge would not let.

Shall I force water from the drain pipe so that the sludge moves? Or shall I use plunger in the upstairs central heating tank to move it?

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Steam or hot water, how old, for hot water its not really necessary. Now you have to get the oxygen out.

Reply to
m Ransley

did you open an air vent so air can enter the system so the water can leave?

If a steam system never mind

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

Hi,

I did open the air vents and still very slow and the tank is still full instead of draining.

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

is it steam or hot water.

Reply to
m Ransley

Raj

What tank? Is system steam or hot water? It may be time to call a plumber with heating system experience Where are you?

Just re read your original post is the tank you talk about on the highest floor of your residence with a pipe going thru the roof and a sight glass along the side?

Vic .

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

Just cold water. I tried to run the central heating but it would not. Just making grinding noise.

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Tank is in the loft.

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

So it is a hot water system we guess, hot water systems dont develop sludge unless you have been putting in alot of makeup water for years and have another problem , How do you know its sludge. I think you need a pro out there You will mess things up guessing and playing around and now have air in the new water , you must cook it out before you rust everything.

Reply to
m Ransley

Raj:

Just making grinding noise sounds like coupling for circulator...just a guess...can you send digital pictures and where are you?

Vic

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

Hi,

I am in Reading, Berkshire. 144, Hamilton Road.

I am thinking of replacing the system with a Combi and putting new radiators as the plumber says the old type radiators would expand under pressure.

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Expand ? What do you have now

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi Ransley,

Now, we have a system which is over 30 years old, gravity fed. This Combi system is now in vogue and gives you better heating and water pressure in the showers.

What do you think?

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

You have no recirclator pump on your hot water radiator system? put one on. Why do you think everything is full of sludge and the radiators are bad. Get a few more pros out, 30 years is not old for radiators. But you realy havnt said What you have yet, Its a guess.

Reply to
m Ransley

Hi,

It is a glow worm Boiler and the system is conventional. It has two pumps.

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Call Roto-Rooter!