Trailer roof coating recipe

I'm forwarding this for comment. Cement on the roof of a mobile home doesn't sound good to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My news reader cut the concrete mix description for some reason. I don't think I'd be very confident with that solution. The roof will expand and contract due to temperature changes. It will probably still flex in the wind. Either could cause the concrete mixture to break. I'd probably use a silicone type sealant to fix the cracks I could see. Then I'd coat it with some of the specially made products for mobile home roofs. I put a second roof on mine. It's a newer heavier built home than what you described, I think.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Makes sense for Kentuckystain.

Ever see white marble rocks on a flat roof? Now a Nobel prize winner wants all the world to paint our roof white.

Reply to
Oren

Buy a bucket of KoolSeal brand, not some cheap imitation, do it right and forget about it for at least 6 years.

See not all us Kentucky people are dumb.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Yep, some went to Texas.

Reply to
Oren

I like the "quart of white glue" Elmers glue, what a hillbilly recipe and Elmers isnt waterproof.

Reply to
ransley

Nowadays they call that "modified" cement.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Reposted wtihout the dashes, as a courtesy to news readers.

I found this very old "recipe" to mix up and use for coating on my mobile home roof and was wondering if anybody out here could tell me if it sounds like it'll stop leaks? I live in a very old 12 X 65 trailer and it recently has started developing bad leaks in the roof. I'm in Kentucky.

Below is the recipe that I'm interested in trying out. Any advise concerning this will be greatly appreiciated!

This is the recipe for a roofing coat that drops the temperature of the summers heat.

55 gallon barrel with top cut out, 2 sacks of white cement, 1 sack lime, 5 lbs of powdered wood glue or a quart of white glue, 5 lbs of rock salt, put water into barrel,to first rung of a 3 rung barrel I find it easier to mix the powders dry and then add to water instead of tossing all the stuff in the barrel first. after putting all ingredients in the barrel, add water to second rung, or estimate about 33 gallon mark. stir and stir until it is combined and put it in buckets and sweep it on the roof. It is good to put 2 coats on and it will even save a roof that is starting to break down!.. It sets up quickly and can be given the second coat. My kids and I would put a rope on the bucket and pull it up on the roof to pour and one always stayed down to dip the bucket when it was empty. I saw one place where the old guy had done his outside walls on an old adobe but it didn't really look that good and it is meant for roofs.....The store bought 5 gallon containers are about $50., sometimes you can get it a bit cheaper but it is like milk instead of having body to it.. Advise filling any cracks on the roofing before spreading this so you have a good roof afterwards..
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I am not rabid about top posting, but if you are going to top post drop the dashes. News readers are doing what they are supposed to - deleting the "sig" that is intended to appear after dash-dash-space.

Reply to
bud--

Your news reader cut the mix description because it is working properly!

The OP has the proper "-- " (dash dash space) before his sig file. This "-- " is recognized by any half decent newsreader and when you read his post, below the "-- " will probably look gray instead of black. Either way, gray or black, your news reader automatically rejects anything after the "-- " in an attempt to prevent sig files being posted over and over again in each post of a thread. It automatically stops you from reposting everyone else's sig files each time you reply. So if he posts his message below his sig file divider, it will all disappear when you reply. Did that make any sense? Watch below.

Reply to
Tony

And the rain will dissolve the rock salt also.

Reply to
Tony

Or at least put your reply before the -- and leave the sig file below the -- . That is normal practice. I won't get into top vs. bottom posting.

Reply to
Tony

Yea, what ever happened to that? I suppose it went away when Global Warming became Climate Change which is another Man Caused Disaster.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas