Tracing Circuit Breaker to Receptacle Outlets

I'd like to know if there is an easier way to trace which circuit breaker control which outlets.

Reply to
DK

Plug a loud radio into the socket. cut off the circuit breaker. The one that shuts the radio is the baby. Now mark it so that you don't have to guess again.

Reply to
jerryl

Easier than what? :-)

The two easiest ways I can think of are: (1) Buy a circuit tracer, about $35 at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's a two-part device; one plugs into an outlet and places a radio-frequency signal on the circuit, and the other is used to detect that signal at the breaker box (it beeps when it's over the correct breaker).

(2) Plug a radio into an outlet, and turn it up loud. Go to the breaker panel and start turning off breakers. When the radio goes off, you got the right one.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Buy a replacement lamp plug. Connect a wire across it to make a short circuit. Attach it to a wooden stick. Plug it into an outlet and see which breaker blows.

DK wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

The radio is a very good way. An alternate to that would be a long extension cord pluged into a lamp, with the lamp in easy sight.

If you suspect the circuit is one of just a few, turn those off one at a time.

If none of the circuits are marked, then turn exactly half off. If the radio is still on, turn the first half back on and the last half off. Now the radio should be on. Turn half of the "off" breakers back on. Keep testing half of the untested breakers until you find it.

Then reset all your electric clocks.

Randy R. Cox

Reply to
Randy Cox

If you think that's funny, you're a sick SOB

Reply to
jerryl

You may have to identify additional circuits later on. It would save some work to identify all the breakers at one time. Turn one breaker off and go around testing receptacles and lights to see what isn't working. Repeat for the other breakers and keep a record. You still need to reset the clocks afterward.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Lots of GOOD advice here. I'll just ad, PRAY, your house was wired by a sober electrician. In my home, the BACK bathroom and the front porch light and bell are on the same circuit. One side of my kitchen is on the same circuit as a bedroom two rooms away. And the "Piece de resistance" the overhead fixture in the master BR is on the same circuit as the garage on the opposite side of the house. Xeno

Reply to
Xeno Chauvin

Could be worse like the commercial where the switch controls a neighbors garage door 6 houses away.

Reply to
jerryl

In my house,the light over the bathroom sink is on the same circuit as the receptacle behind the refrigerator.

It's not good enough to assume everything in a room is on the same circuit.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Well i admit its not recommended! But on one occasion I intentially shorted a outlet to trip the breaker so I could work on that specific circuit.

My grandmother lived here and was on oxygen machine, I absolutely HAD to fix the bad outlet that was used for other stuff for her.

The short enabled me to not disturb anything but the breaker I needed to work on!

posters in the past got mad I used such a system, but it worked in 1991 before circuit breaker finders were available.

breakers are designed to accept shorts, because they do occur.

Reply to
hallerb

I've used radios and lamps with extension cords and I've also used a vacuum cleaner since they make a lot of noise also.

For those who are punctilious and ambitious and efficient (unlike me), it's probably a good idea to do every outlet and light in the house while you are at it.

If you have a generator and want to go even further, you can determine which leg each breaker is on by measuring the voltage between different outlets. Then you can go to Home Depot and buy a package of different-colored electrical tape and mark each outlet using a color code for always on, always off, on only by itself, etc.

Good idea. That kind of reminds me of the search routines I used to use about 3 lifes ago, in the mid-1970s when I wrote software.

Reply to
mgkelson

Chuckle. Your guy must have wired my place, too.

aem sends....

Reply to
<aemeijers

some electricians wire always on outlets ground pin up and switched ground pin down.

If I ever rewire completely each room will have its own breaker for easy service, a couple breakers foir lighting circuits only plus breakers for dedicated outlets like fridge.

I have the hodgepoge too:( As cicuits have gotten overloaded I add more dedicatyed breakers........

still its a mess, worse the ductwork is in the way leading to messy romex to avoid obstructions

Reply to
hallerb

Actually, I kind of like the idea.

It is quick and dirty.

My circuit breakers are 22 years old at least and my only worry is that one of them will refuse to &#39;break&#39; or take too long to break.

Not sure I like the idea of a superheated wire in my walls and attic.

Reply to
DK

Insert the shorting plug for only a very short time.

Reply to
Sam E

Understanding binary can save you a lot of work (too often people would try one breaker at a time, rather than doing it by halves).

BTW, I&#39;ve used such a technique with an EMF defector on holiday lights.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I wish my house had separate lighting circuits.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

think of intentional short as testing your breakers. With a intential short you control the length of the short and its severity...

If you have FPE ask more questions

Reply to
hallerb

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:49:45 -0500, Mark Lloyd

I am not sure exactly how this is going to save any time. If you are standing at the panel listening for the radio, you can switch one at a time and find it sooner.

What if the breaker was the first one? How would turning half off save time?

If the breaker is one in the second half then you have already turned off half the panel using both examples.

Understanding common sense can save you a lot to work too.

Reply to
Terry