Toilet installation

Years ago when I replaced my toilet, the flange was a bit below floor level so to be sure I got a seal I used two wax rings. Zero problems.

Now I am set to put in a better toilet and I found out there is such a thing as a flange extender and that it's a much batter idea than two wax rings.

Guess I should take this advice, right???

Reply to
philo

There are different types of flange extenders, so make sure you do your homework. There are single thick spacers and kits with multiple thin disks for a more customized fit.

Also consider one of the newer "wax-free rings". No more mess when you R&R the toilet.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

There is a great plumbing supply store near my house where one can actually get good advice.

Now I will at least know what to ask for.

thanks

Reply to
philo

If you use a second wax ring on top ... the problem is the distance between the sealing surface of the flange and that of the toilet bowl . The flange extends down into the drain pipe , not up into the space between the flange and the toilet . Of course , you might not have really needed 2 rings . But then again ... and for a couple of bucks , I'd do it just for the peace of mind .

Reply to
Snag

I would seal the joint between the existing ring and the one you add but they work great. (RTV works) I had the same issue here

Reply to
gfretwell

With only one toilet in the house, I want to be sure to get it right

Reply to
philo