Toilet install

Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in trouble because I only see 12"...

Can I buy a toilet to fit that..? Tanks.. C

Reply to
N O

Maybe you can maybe you can`t, call around before you cant adjust everything.

Reply to
ransley

I'm guessing you could measure toilets. Is it possible to use an offset flange? SOmething similar to:

dan

Long, long ago, the rough-in distance (wall to center of flange) used to be 14" (or even 10"). For the last half-century, it has been pretty standard at 12". Virtually all the in-stock toilets you'll find at BigBox will be 12" rough-in.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You recall incorrectly. The correct distance is 12" centerline of toilet flange to back wall, at least 15" centerline to side wall or tub.

Some toilets are different, but 12" is standard.

Reply to
Robert Allison

......and now you know why the plumbers get the big bucks. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

..and why folks resort to DIY!

-- Oren

Reply to
Oren

There should be a cut sheet for any toilet you buy. From my experience 12" should be a go ( get it) you can ask at the big box store what the rough- in should be for any water closet you are interested in but sometimes these type of question will cause the salesman to fall into a fetal position dazed and confused.

Reply to
Sac Dave

Go to the mfgr's web site & look for drawings!

Reply to
Bob M.

Standard rough in is 12". 10" and 14" toilets are also available.

Reply to
marson

Re: Toilet install Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Feb 24, 2008, 9:08pm (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Robert=A0Allison) N O wrote: Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in trouble because I only see 12"... Can I buy a toilet to fit that..? Tanks.. C You recall incorrectly. The correct distance is 12" centerline of toilet flange to back wall, at least 15" centerline to side wall or tub. Some toilets are different, but 12" is standard.

Reply to
N O

Re: Toilet install Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Feb 24, 2008, 1:47pm (EST-3) From: Oren@127.0.0.1 (Oren) On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:32:41 -0500, Bubba wrote: On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 15:12:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (N O) wrote: Soon I'll be installing a new toilet in a bath remod I'm doing. I've read somewhere that the distance from the wall to the center of the toilet drain should be at least 14"... Is that correct. If so, I'm in trouble because I only see 12"... Can I buy a toilet to fit that..? Tanks.. C .....and now you know why the plumbers get the big bucks. Bubba .and why folks resort to DIY!

Reply to
N O

Just to clarify for OP:

The 15" side clearance is a Building Code requirement for clear space and has nothing to do with the 12" rough-in spec for the toilet.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Re: Toilet install Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 12:00am (EST+5) From: news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3277.bay.webtv.net... There should be a cut sheet for any toilet you buy. From my experience

12" should be a go ( get it) you can ask at the big box store what the rough- in should be for any water closet you are interested in but sometimes these type of question will cause the salesman to fall into a fetal position dazed and confused.

==============

With the building slow down in this part of the country, there seems to be a bit more knowledge on hand at these stores than usual (which isn't really saying much). Too bad they're so damn pissed off all the time though..

Reply to
N O

Exactly. Typical toilet tank is about 20" wide, but you need some clearance on the sides for your ass to hang over and to be able to reach around with the TT. When we put in a new washing machine in the downstairs bathroom, it was wider than the old one and brings the clearance down to 29". I'd not want to get any narrower than that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was staying at the house of the mother of a friend in Europe, and she had the arms on one toilet to help her sit down and stand up. It made the seat area so narrow, I couldn't separate my legs at all and I couldn't go from the front or back.

Reply to
mm

"N O" wrote

I think you are looking at older specs and the newer ones are 12 inches. You have an installed drain there already right and are just replacing around it? Don't fret. Just measure then go to the local hardware store with the measurements.

My house was built in 1962 with the bigger older toilets. I probably have that 14 inch. When we replaced the toilets with the newer 'low flow' they sit smaller and there's a bit of extra space behind the tank. Harmless.

Reply to
cshenk

Twelve (actually 11.5" is the absolute minimum) from the wall to the center of the flange (where the bolt heads are) is the standard in US residential construction.

There are some old ones out there where it is only 10".

If you need some tips on doing the job, see my sig line. Pictures are on the way for the articles.

Reply to
Colbyt