To Pump or Not to Pump

My house was built nearly 200 years ago, but the current septic system is from the 1950s. When I bought the place in 1985 I was told to have it pumped every 5 years. I had it pumped in 1990 and the guy said I could probably wait 10 the next time, since there are only two of us. I had it pumped again in 2000, and was told not to bother again until 2015. That's the current plan.

However, since it only costs $99 to have it pumped it's certainly not prohibitively expensive to have it done every 10 years or so.

On Mon 05 Oct 2009 11:42:47a, Jack Stein told us...

Yes, I'm sure "it depends". Still, with just 2 residents and a new system, I think 3-4 years is probably premature.

Thanks again, Jack.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Oct 2009 01:23:18p, h told us...

Given the frequency range that most people are quoting, I'm thinking that

3-4 years is probably a bit premature. I may think about it at 5 years, but then again, maybe somewhat longer.

Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright