Tire Air Rotation for Spring

Alloy wheels are laquered on the inside to prevent this.

Reply to
harry

My X wife haad a car that had tires ALWAYS going flat. She drove the car on the flat and ruined the tire and wheel:( Short on cash I bought a steel wheel as a quick fix.,\\

a year later every other tire had gone flat at least twice. When getting a flat fixed I asked whats up at NTB. They showed me the white powder on the wheels sealing surface.

A OH MOMENT for me :)

Car needed tires anyway so I bought 4 new tires and steel wheels, moved the one existing tire steel wheel to the spare location..

Had almost no flats after that.

I will never buy a vehicle with alunimum wheels!!! not worth the hassles when they go flat:(

Reply to
bob haller

Something new every day. That's way past my schooling level. But, thanks for a few moments of schollarly confusion just the same.

Did I want fries with that? Now we're back on solid ground. (deep sigh)

Christ> ;3035603']If I remember from my chemistry days, the atomic weight of

It's not quite that simple. In chemistry there's something called "electronegativity", which is a measure of how strongly different atomic nucleii attract the electrons around them.

[image:

You can see that except for fluorine, oxygen is the most highly electronegative element there is.

That means an oxygen atomic nucleus would attract the electrons around it more strongly than other atomic nucleii, and that means that the cloud of electrons around an oxygen nucleus would be smaller than you'd otherwise expect.

It turns out that despite an oxygen atom having more electrons than a nitrogen atom, the electron cloud around an oxygen atom is smaller in diameter than that around a nitrogen atom, cuz of that electronegativity. And that means that if you imagine an oxygen molecule to look like a small jelly bean, an oxygen jelly bean has a smaller diameter than a nitrogen jelly bean, which is why oxygen jelly beans can migrate through tire rubber more readily than nitrogen jelly beans.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think that is great wisdom. Aluminum rims are a big PIA.

Sadly, my Blazer came with aluminum rims.

Musically speaking, it's wise to avoid sharps, so you don't have flats.

.

My X wife haad a car that had tires ALWAYS going flat. She drove the car on the flat and ruined the tire and wheel:( Short on cash I bought a steel wheel as a quick fix.,\\

a year later every other tire had gone flat at least twice. When getting a flat fixed I asked whats up at NTB. They showed me the white powder on the wheels sealing surface.

A OH MOMENT for me :)

Car needed tires anyway so I bought 4 new tires and steel wheels, moved the one existing tire steel wheel to the spare location..

Had almost no flats after that.

I will never buy a vehicle with alunimum wheels!!! not worth the hassles when they go flat:(

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So, then Oxygen migrates through tire rubber better than Nitrogen. So after pumping up the tires a few times with plain air then the oxygen content of the tire will go down and level off at a very low level. No reason to pay a lot extra for nitrogen since you will wind up with mainly nitrogen after a while anyway. Of course considering how seldom I have to pump up my tires this may take a long time. About the life span of the tire.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

There's one tire place that does nitrogen fills, and they don't charge extra for it. Their tire prices are competitive with others in the area.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Pretty sure I know where all this Nitrogen stuff started... or at least this is what they had to say about it back in A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) school.

Larger aircraft use massive high pressure tires, and having one explode or blow off the rim can result in structural damage. Their wheels are equipped with (thermally activated) fusible plugs designed to open and limit maximum pressure in the event of a tire overheat condition... like the long hard brake application of an aborted take-off, or a wheel well fire to name two. These plugs do not re close, and once blown allow the tire to completely deflate over a period of several minutes.

See the second paragraph under the 'Other Applications' heading:

With the landing gear retracted, and if the tires are inflated with plain air, a blown plug/s can force aspirate a wheel well fire. With Nitrogen, the blown plug/s can assist fire mitigation by helping purge the wheel well of oxygen.

For automotive/truck use, there is absolutely on harm in Nitrogen's use, but the only thing it'll really accomplish is to lighten your wallet.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Same size (Ideal Gas Law). The difference in atomic number also makes nitrogen a little more mobile, so a slightly better heat conductor, I think.

BTW, it's N2 and O2, so double your numbers.

Reply to
krw