tiling kitchen countertops

I have some Mapei KER 121 thinset left over from installing floor ceramics. We want to tile (2x2 inch) our kitchen counters - one is a 'dry' counter, the other is 'wet' - around the sink. I need a recommendation of the right product to use if the KER 121 isn't ok.

On the dry counter (about 2x4 feet) I have two 5/8 sheets of exterior grade ply. Around the sink (about 2x3 feet, minus the sink itself) I have a single sheet of 5/8 ply and a 1/2 inch sheet of backer board (DenShield).

Never done this before so any tips are appreciated.

thanks, Frank

Reply to
frankg

That Mapei's modifed thinset is fine. Both substrates are sufficient as well if there's no flex. I'd throw a stiffener underneath them if possible. If space is tight, even a 1X flat would help. Anything else?

Reply to
G Henslee

Are you dead set on tile? I worked as maid cleaning many different houses during the summers when I was in high school and college, and I feel compelled to warn you that tile counters are by far the WORST to clean and keep clean. They're easy and cheap to put in, and they look great when they're new, but I would never choose them for my house.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Word. Got 'em. Hate 'em. I even used epoxy grout, which was a royal pain in the ass, and they're still imposssible to keep clean.

Reply to
Jim Ranieri

The first time you spill coffee grounds (or flour, or sugar, or 100 other things) on a tile counter you'll curse your decision.

Reply to
Rick

I would. Tiles are impervious to just about *anything* and are dead simple to keep clean. It is the grout that gives people fits and that is because they use a light colored grout. Use a dark one and the problem goes away.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Actually, while stained grout certainly sucks, my annoyance was with crumbs catching in every grout line and goop stuck in in every bubble-pore in every grout line. Granite, Silestone, formica, even laminate... spray, wipe, and you're done. Tile, I found, was easiest to dustbust/vacuum first, then sweep the grout lines, then spray and wipe, then as often as not take an old toothbrush and a toothpick to get the crap out of the grout lines. Seriously sucked. Almost as bad as cleaning floor-to-ceiling mirrors in smokers' houses.

Never again.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Hmmm Tiles cocme many different size and shapes. I lovde tiles. No problem keeping clean either. Anyhow cleaning is house keeper's job, LOL. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang