Tiling

I am tiling a shower/tub surround. I have applied roofing felt then cement board to the studs (hardibacker). I then used tape and thinset on the joints and corners - everything looks good and now I'm starting to tile up the walls.

Is there a right or wrong method with regard to where I apply the thinset - meaning on the wall or on the back of the tile? on the first few rows I applied it to the wall directly but now am finding it easier to apply directly to the back of the tile and then put it on the wall.

Is applying the thinset to the tile back OK to do?

Reply to
Leo

Wall is slightly preferable. Doesn't make that much of a diff.

Reply to
roger61611

I see tile guys working all the time in my wife's houses. They apply the thinset on the wall when they are going fast on easy open areas. When they are in the corners or hard to work in spots they butter the tile. When you watch a real tile man go it really looks easy. They rake out the thinset on the wall and just throw the tile up there where it goes. No grout squeezes out, the tile lays flat and it stays put. A lot of it is getting the thinset mixed right and the other part is simply experience. Usually about the time a DIY guy like me is just starting to get the hang of it, I am done. By the time I get around to tiling again I have lost the touch and I have to start the learning curve over. ;-(

Reply to
gfretwell

Ya, you can definitely apply to the tile rather than the wall... and this method works really well if you move slowly and carefully as there's an open time on thinset before it hardens...and it hardens fairly quick on the wall compared to the pan.

Remember to seal that grout after it's cured for a while.

Take some pictures and post on a blog when you're done! Sounds like you could put a great how-to article out there for other DIY'ers.

Reply to
kellyj00

Chuckle. Been there, done that, with tile, carpet, vinyl, drywall mudding, etc. I grew up in the business, I know the steps, but I don't do it every day, so my hands are unsure. These days, since I have the cashflow, I tend to hire out any of the 'artisan' trades. Cheaper in the long run. They do make it look easy. Only problem I have is getting somebody to actually show up for my pissant small jobs, seldom more than a couple hours worth. I can't blame them, if doing my job means missing a full day on a new work jobsite, but it is a pain.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers