Tile over satin finish paint

We would like to tile the area above our 1 piece tub/shower unit. At the present time it is painted with a satin finish paint. Will the tile adhesive stick to this finish or do we need to prep the finish or repaint that area with a flat finish paint?

Thanks for any help.

keith

Reply to
Keith Boeheim

The best solution would be to remove the existing drywall, add vapor barrier, replace with cement board.

The better solution would be to add a vapor barrier and cap the wall with 1/4 or 1/2" cement board. This is fairly easy to do by using tile trim pieces called A cap, made to edge over 1/2" material.

The good solution would be to stick the tile directly to your painted drywall with mastic.

Leave a 1/4" gap at corners, tub edge, etc to be filled with caulk to allow movement in the tile field.

DanG