Thru the wall vent q

I smoke. I have hepa filters and a ttw kitchen vent, non adjustable speed. It is winter, ave 20 f. If i cover half half the vent with something like a plastic bag does that cut down the air exchange? Or does it just suck fast er through the non covered part? Without quitting smoking (guests too) im l ooking at the heating bill.

Reply to
Thomas

A restriction will cut air flow. I'm not sure how much, but 50% cover may not be a 50% reduction. You are also putting some load on the motor so it may reduced motor life.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks Ed. I never figured i would be asking how to cut down on Suck. That vent is like having 2 doors open in winter. I just needed less suck.

Reply to
Thomas

Smoke outside . I did the last few years I smoked the nasty stinking things .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

why should a smoker be concerned with costs? tobacco costs so much and makes a large percentage of smokers very ill, or kills them........

my dad has reoccuring bladder cancer from smoking. his future is terrible.

my one time fiances dad was a lifetime smoker.

i got invited to see him just a couple days before he died of COPD.

smoking is just plain insane

Reply to
bob haller

ed. It is winter, ave 20 f. If i cover half half the vent with something li ke a plastic bag does that cut down the air exchange? Or does it just suck faster through the non covered part? Without quitting smoking (guests too) im looking at the heating bill.

+1

The best solution here is a fresh air heat exchanger, which will save most of the heat that would have been lost when swapping air. That way you can have the same air exchange with much less heat loss.

Reply to
trader_4