Threshold air gap problem

We had new carpeting installed in our family room and the outside family room door would not open because the new carpeting is higher than the old. I cut the door down so it would open but there was an air gap at the bottom when the door was closed. I installed a new rubber insert in the threshold but there is still a 1/4in airgap at the bottom. I then installed a rubber door sweep on the outside bottom of the door and it covered the gap with the door closed but the door is very hard to open because it rubs on the new carpeting. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
grandad

You will need to either raise the threshold to at least the top of the new carpeting or use an operable door bottom. here is an example:

these are activated by a plunger that bumps the jamb and forces the seal down.

DanG

It would be easier to replace the threshold with a taller threshold. Thresholds come in different heighths for just this reason (among others).

(Correctly posted for your comprehension)

Reply to
Robert Allison

Raise the old threshold with a piece of wood the needed thickness for a tight seal, or get an adjustable threshold.

Reply to
m Ransley