thermostat wire

There are other fish in the pond. Ones that don't lock you into their system.

Reply to
krw

An example please. One with variable speed and humidity control. And lets you use any thermostat to get these features.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Nest will control humidity, assuming the HVAC system will do a reasonable job. It should be a big stretch to go from there to whatever it is that the "high end carrier" does. Again, I'm certainly not in the habit of locking myself into one solution.

Reply to
krw

Hi, Maybe I am one of lucky one. Never, ever had trouble with Carrier system which is my favorite. My BIL is chief designer/estimator for a large commercial contractor. He always point me to a good I mean real good service techs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

OK, maybe I missed something but this is relevant, how?

Reply to
krw

Nest will control it only when heating. Carrier's Infinity will also control humidity for air conditioning. For that you need a variable speed fan and compressor.

Most a/c units simply have a set point and they turn the unit on and off as it crosses that point. One with variable speed will always run. The speed will be what is necessary to keep the temperature right at the set point. None of this up and down temperature you get with regular air conditioning. I know I can very much tell the temperature change. On a relatively cool, but very humid day, a regular air conditioner will not get the humidity out. A variable speed one will.

It is a matter of comfort. But I guess for some people comfort isn't that important.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I've lived in a lot of houses and haven't had up and down AC problems with a basic thermostat. Set it for 75 and it stays at 75. If you've got ups and downs, it's because you have a poorly installed system.

I know I can very much tell the temperature change. On a relatively cool,

If it's cool outside, it's never humid inside my house here in NJ. If it is a bit humid on the couple days a year when the AC isn't running, I can just turn it on for 30 mins and the humidity is gone. Hard to justify spending a lot of $$$ for a problem that is almost non-existent.

I'm comfortable. There is no question that an advanced super duper Carrier, with multi stages, humidity control, etc can do a better job. But when I went out for quotes two years ago, the Carrier guy was $6K more than the $8K quotes for systems that were perfectly fine. The cost/benefit equation just isn't there. And then, you're stuck with Carrier's thermostat? I'll bet my Honeywell VisionPro is easier to program.

Reply to
trader4

Hi, Still Infinity IAQ full set up needs tweaking to suit the local situation. I had to interface it with my wireless 'stat and first year I had to spend some time in summer/winter to make everything satisfactory to our R2000 spec. house. Yesterday our new house cleaning lady mentioned "Your house has very little dust build up", Of course IAQ also maintains clean fresh indoor air.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

. > > If it's cool outside, it's never humid inside my house here > in NJ. If it is a bit humid on the couple days a year > when the AC isn't running, I can just turn it on for 30 mins > and the humidity is gone. Hard to just ify spending a lot of $$$ > for a problem that is almost non-existent. > >

ort isn't that >> >> important. >> >> >> >>

I will be curious to see how comfortable you feel when the variable speed d rive motor fails and you see the bill for the repair.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

I have a annual maintenance contract. So far what has broken has been covered under the warranty. For many parts it is 10 years.