Thermostat that goes down to 32F?

Use an old mercury stat and mount it "clocked". Calibrate the mounting angle with an ice cube.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The original question went back 15 years. Ed P. is the only name I recognized from way back.

32 degrees Fahrenheit doesn't leave much margin for error. Someone suggested using a refrigerator thermostat. Can one get a thermostat for livestock tank heaters or maybe a thermostat for an engine block heater?
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Donnell Spivey formulated the question :

Use a frigorific mixture.

FromTheRafters

I have a little AC plug-in module intended to turn on a heater to stay above freezing. Not sure what exact temp it maintains, but somewhere just above freezing, think it might be ~37. It's called Easyheat. But I also saw reviews years ago where people complained they failed, so some investigation is warranted. Back then HD had them. And if this is for freeze protection, you probably want some margin above 32, unless you;re able to locate it in the coldest spot and what you need to protect is where it is sure to be warmer.

Reply to
trader_4

I found this with a little searching.

The next question would be about some sort of warning device if the heat fails.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That looks just like the Easyheat one that I have. Probably all made in China, cheap. There should be a market for better ones that cost say $35 - 50 that include a warning either audible or wifi, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

I realize this is an older thread. But, it pops up to the top of Google Searches. And, we're heading into another winter.

A lot will depend on the weather. If it is up to the mid 30's or low 40's during the day, and drops down to 30°F to 32°F for a few hours at night, then it won't be a hard damaging freeze. Get down into the mid 20's, or multiple days of below freezing, and one begins to risk split pipes and spiral cracked PVC.

K-Kontrol sells a couple of plug-in thermostats marked 30-100 (for the temperature range).

Duplex plug that you plug into the wall, and plug your device into that plug.

I've set mine at exactly 32° F to protect a pumphouse. The thermostat is rated for +/- 2°. Other people choose slightly higher values. 34°F or 35°F?

One can buy 200W ceramic space heaters. I'm not convinced they could start fires in ordinary use. But they have thermal protection, and perhasp tipover protection.

I don't know how one would discover an equipment failure until it is too late, but there are alarming remote thermometers if one wishes.

Reply to
cliff

For eqpt failure you could put in two separate thermostats and heaters, split the work. Electric usage will be about the same. Putting them on separate circuits, if possible, would be a good idea too. Then the big risk left is a power outage.

Reply to
trader_4