Thermostat question

Hello. I have 2 seperate furnaces, a wood burner and fuel oil, that are controlled with 2 seperate thermostats. I was wondering if there are any companies that sell a thermostat that can control both furnaces? I want to be able to set the wood burner at 70 degrees, and the set the fuel oil at 67 degrees. That way if the wood burner runs out of wood or goes out, the fuel oil will kick on and keep the house from getting too cold. If there aren't any companies that sell this type of thermostat, does anyone know if and how you can modify a regular digital thermostat? If anyone can please help, I would greatly appreciate it! TIA!!!!!

Reply to
prestocat

You need a thermostat with two set points. . try

just call: ThermostatShop.com

751 Laurel Street Suite 345 San Carlos, CA 94070 Phone: 650-591-2621 or Toll Free: 1-877-RUN-HVAC Fax: 1-650 585-5478
Reply to
Jerry

Reply to
Bennett Price

So set them like that. What's the problem?

So set the thermostat for the fuel oil furnace at 67, and the thermostat for the wood burner at 70. As long as the wood burner is keeping the temperature at 70 (or, in fact, anywhere above 67), the oil furnace will never come on.

Why do you want to make this more complicated and expensive than it needs to be? What do you expect to gain from having a single thermostat, that you don't already have with two?

Reply to
Doug Miller

The ability to have no heat at all if the single thermostat craps out on a cold January night.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Would that be anything like a heap-pump thermostat, that can turn on auxiliary hear it the temperature drops too much?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The thermostats that I have now are really old, probably 50 + years old, and I want to replace them. I didn't want to have to buy two new ones, if I could find one that would control both furnaces. By the way, I've owned this house for 1 year, and I've been setting the thermostats the way you are all describing to set them. I would like to thank the people who have been trying to help, but I can't believe the ridicule from others.

Reply to
prestocat via HomeKB.com