The unwanted pole

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ghsptp$p2h$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

Clickety Clack ????

:-)

Reply to
Red Green

By chance if you should go the cutting torch route... you need to be absolutely positive the post doesn't contain any water. You don't want molten metal splattered all over you, bystanders, pets or your property.

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

On Thu 11 Dec 2008 08:50:56p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Absolutely!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On 12 Dec 2008, Erik wrote in alt.home.repair:

Good point, that doesn't sound like much fun. I'm thinking the $20 angle grinder method will be the cheapest solution and reasonably easy. I expect a torch would cost more, and I don't know what else I'd ever do with it.

Thanks!

Reply to
Nil

Just be sure to have goggles and a dust mask on. There will be a lot of stuff flying around. Get extra cutting wheels as I think a four inch steel pipe may require more than one. Don't have any bystanders or cars nearby as a broken piece of the blade can do serious damage. There will also be a lot of sparks so don't have anything flammable in the area. Use a grinding disk and not a cut off wheel for grinding down the base. That four inch pipe will be heavy when it comes down so you might want to figure a way to brace it or catch it.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Angle grinder would make quick work of it. Personally, I'd remove the concrete, replace with topsoil and seed.

Reply to
Phisherman

Yeah, here it is:

Still, I bet one could visit an auto junk yard and get the equivalent for five bucks.

Real bumber jacks are useless today inasmuch as you can't lift a modern car by its bumper.

Reply to
HeyBub

On 12 Dec 2008, "John Grabowski" wrote in alt.home.repair:

It's really a thin-walled tube and not very tall, rather than, like, a thick iron pipe. It should be pretty light, and I think the grinder will go through it like butter. Then I can pound down whatever's left with a hammer. Then, next spring when the ground thaws, I'll try breaking up at least enough of the concrete with a sledgehammer to cover it with some soil.

Reply to
Nil

Sawsall if you can borrow or have one. Or hacksaw, just cut partway thru and bend to break at cut. Then use a sledge hammer to pound down the "stump."

Reply to
Jeff

"HeyBub" wrote in news:64Wdnfy9TpdZEd_UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

...and the ad even yabbers "...great for...pulling posts and poles," What targeting! :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Wrap it (near the ground) with two turns of detonation cord, fit a proper blasting cap, stand back and push the plunger..(Just kidding). :^)

EJ > Oren wrote:

Reply to
Ernie Willson

If it's that thin, you can cut it off 1/4-1/2" from the ground with a hacksaw, and pound the remained into the hole with a hammer. Or, us a hammer and cold chisel to cut it enough that you can break it off. That can get you mostly at or below ground level.

Reply to
Bob F

Ernie Willson wrote in news:4942dce5$0$5558$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

Best suggestion yet.

Then you went and f'ed it up with

Reply to
Red Green

You left out the Thermite option. (worth a watch) and cheaper.

Oren

Thermite would be safer and more colorful, but somewhat short on sound.

EJ > >

Reply to
Ernie Willson