The Kitchen Sink

howdy all,

I'm about to have a new stainless steel sink installed, the old one is stainless also. On the bottom of the old sink it looks like it was covered with the same material used as undercoating on cars. A rough surface of black coating of some kind.

I assume it is there to prevent condensation from forming on the bottom side of the sink(s) and dripping down onto the base cabinet.

The new sink is uncoated. Do I need to apply this type of coating? If so where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

C~C

Reply to
CommanderCody

Maybe just a sound deading coating to make sink sound "sturdy"

Reply to
LouB

I agree with Lou that the undercoat is to dampen the resonance from dripping water. If your new sink does not have it you might not be getting a good brand of sink.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I believe that is exactly the purpose for the coating, to prevent condensation. I would think you could spray on an insulation from a can and achieve the same thing if it is not on the new sink.

Reply to
Ken

It is to deaden sound. If it was for condensation...the sides would also be covered. I have never heard or seen of moisture forming under a SS sink (as a problem).

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

I've got one of each (stainless). Neither experiences condensation. The one with the goop doesn't clang as much when to toss in a fork, so I'd go with the purpose being sound-deadening.

Reply to
HeyBub

It is definitely for sound deadening!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yup, if your new sink has NOTHING go to your local automotive boom- boom stereo shop and ask for some scraps of Dynamat, stick a couple to the underside of the sink to deaden the noise of the water hitting it, plates being dropped, etc. If there's already a couple thin bits of black stuff stuck to it, it's already been done for you and will accomplish the same thing as the full "undercoating" of your old sink.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks for the advice and knowledge.

It would appear from the concensus its to muffle the sounds. Now that I think about it that does make more sense than my all wet idea of preventing condensation. :)

muchas gracias everyone.

C~C

Reply to
CommanderCody

An even better idea, since you're putting in a new sink, would be to go look at some more sinks, do some research and find a better one that already has sound deadening material and is probably a lot better from other standpoints as well.

Reply to
trader4

Another idea - as grist for the mill - is to watch Craigslist. I got a superb stainless double sink, complete with faucet and sprayer attachment, for a paltry $15.

The chipped enamel sink it replaced worked, so I wasn't desperate. Just kept watching and eventually what I wanted showed up. Patience*, if possible, pays off.

Reply to
HeyBub

Nice gloat. Enjoy.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

If you use your sink as an ice-water bath (I do when I want to cool down a big pot of spag sauce) you may get condensate underneath. The coating is a sound deadener. Maybe you can find a spray-on product at the auto store.

Reply to
Phisherman