The Impacts of High Efficiency Toilets on Plumbing Drainlines and Sewers

According to my metered water bill we used 5000 gallons for the last 60 days. That's 83.33 gallons per day for 2 of us, or @42 gallons per person. Wife has a sizeable garden, which my wife waters when needed, but we don't water the lawn. Been getting "normal" rainfall in Northern Illinois. Just a "fact," though I can't swear by the accuracy of the billing. Maybe 25% of that water is from flushing the toilet.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I got it from here

I just looked and we use 170 gallons a day (total from my meter) That is usually 2 people but up to 5 when the kids are here. I have a pool but we don't water the grass.

Reply to
gfretwell

85 gallons per day, per person is a far cry from 550 g/d, wouldn't you agree? I appreciate your integrity in responding the way you did, so many people would never do what you did.
Reply to
Stormin' Norman

In SW Florida people who really want a lawn are dumping an inch or two of water on it for about 6 months a year when it isn't raining and some azzoles keep their sprinklers going all summer when it rains every day. I suspect the per capita number 360 Data used includes all users divided by total consumption, not just residential customer's metered use. A single golf course will be using 5 million gallons a week (based on an inch of water on the course, most use more) and maybe even much more if it is in the dry season. The biggest users are still farmers.

Reply to
gfretwell

CONSIDER THE SOURCE: The United Nations. Of course the rich use far too much. Could the outcome be anything but?

Oh, and that 550 is LITERS, not gallons.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

According to CBS, the average 18 hole golf course in California uses

90 million gallons per year or 1.73 million gallons per week.

See:

Stormin' Norman

OK my bad. I didn't notice it was commie metric. ;-)

So then it is unlikely that they are including commercial and agricultural users, where most of the water goes.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yup 1.7 million gallons a week and you get this (from your article) "There, fairways of green have given way to a harsh and barren desert."

These HOA members want the grass green and lush, even if they are getting 5 figure water bills. (My wife runs a country club community) There are 38 toilets there but I doubt that is where all the water is going.

Reply to
gfretwell

Spent better part of 50 years designing sewer collection systems. The desig n is strongly influenced by topography. You simply can't place pipe 30 feet deep throughout a neighborhood to obviate a flat slope at the last 1000ft. , or so. You can increase velocity by using smaller pipe Conversely, on very steep terrain with few users (think cul-de-sac, or end of line) the velocity is so fast that the water simply runs out from under the turd and leaves it stranded. Standard solution was to install a "dousin g chamber" near the last manhole and send a 50-100 gallon gush, possibly on ce a day. Otherwise your mains do clog and maintenance is expensive.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary