The Home Despot takes a turn for the worse.

Especially when the floors squeaked.

Reply to
willshak

Wow, Despot!! That is so kewl! What does despot mean?

Reply to
willshak

I just found Highland on our trip In April (her birthday). I've been back on business trips three times in the last two months. ;-)

Cool! I haven't been down in that area of town. Our next trip is planned for the third weekend in October. There is some sort of craft fair in Stone Mountain, or something. I think we'll spend a couple of nights then (found a great, cheap, place to stay in the Perimeter area).

I've missed that for years. I can't remember the last decent one.

Reply to
krw

We have one of those here in Santa Monica as well. Busy Bee. Amazing what they get into a small space. And knowledgeable staff. Anybody around this area remember Gerald's in Westchester? They had these great olde-tymers who really knew their stuff. Sigh!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

What is a BORG? Tx

Reply to
Higgs Boson

What is a BORG? Tx

BORG = Big old retail giant also know as a big box store. Lowes, HD, Wal-Mart

Reply to
Colbyt

George

Big Orange Retail Giant, a.k.a. Home Depot, but Lowes and similar often get lumped in.

Reply to
krw

As I mentioned elsewhere, our local such place is actually cheaper for a lot of things - I think the big box stores often rely on their customers thinking that they're the only choice in town, and so they price high.

The new Menards is going to be right next door to them, though, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

That or there was some terrible mishap in the adhesives aisle ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I haven't noticed any local pricing differences in HD or Lowes, if that's what you mean by "interesting". I haven't shopped in Menards enough (don't like 'em, though) to know.

Reply to
krw

Yes but the material handling costs as you call it are not going to be much different per sq foot for a box of 2x2's, and you don't need to close the aisle down to restock. At Menards they will help you cut up a 4x8 to whatever size you want, and will also sell you a 4x4 off-cut (from pieces that get damaged in transit) for a $1 a sheet.

Reply to
cubby

Some HDs sell 2'x4' or 4'x4' offcuts cheap, as available. I've used them for patching.

Reply to
keith

Not swinging a hammer for a living any more, I only need stuff like that once in a while, for patching stuff. I ALWAYS look in the remainder racks first. Drywall, plywood, one short stick of trim, etc. My minivan CAN haul 4x8, sort of, but it is a PITA popping the seats out, and finding a support board and bungee cords, for the part that sticks out the back.

If I hit the lotto, I'd have a place with a pole barn out back, with wood racks to keep a small shelf stock, and a pickup truck to haul it all in.

Reply to
aemeijers

I've been looking for some decent 1/4" ply to level my kitchen floor with no luck. And there it was, a little water damaged but still OK, 2' x 4' for $0.51 at HD. Fit in my car too.

It looks to me that HD has taken a hard line on cutting costs and selling cheap. I wonder sometimes about the staff training, it looks like they cut corners there too.

Not that I haven't seen good HDs, but the vast majority in their home town, don't understand or know how to handle good stuff. They sell crap brands with little regard to their reputation. And their employees don't know the merchandise.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies