teturing walls

Hello, I have never posted to this group in the past, but read when time permits. I now have a question. Our house was built in early 60s and the walls do not have a nice texture (old paneling was removed from one section). I want to re-texture the walls with this gun and hopper thing we have that hooks up to an air compressor. The walls have semi-gloss paint on them. Do these walls have to have something done to them (primer) before I do the retexturing? I fear that the mud will not stick to the semi-gloss paint. Or can I just spray on the mud, then prime, then paint?

Thank you very much for any comments.

Reply to
Kathycarp

Well, I see that I cannot spell in the subject line of my original post. Sorry.

Reply to
Kathycarp

Quoting here from the spray texture I've used:

"Surfaces must be dry, clean, firm and free of dust, dirt, oil, wax, loose paint and plaster." No mention of gloss-paint.

-- Oren

Oren

When you top posted, the thread quote was clipped by the server.

-- Oren

Oren

Thank you, Oren. I guess I can proceed without primer. Will check on the label of the texture I end up buying.

Kathy

Reply to
Kathycarp

Since my comment only pertained to the subject line, and not the text of the post, I guess that's okay.

Kathy

Reply to
Kathycarp

I have re-textured walles with semi-gloss, and it works fine....if you can swing it...spray the primer.

good luck,

DAC

Reply to
DAC

There really isn't much need for primer. You're better off simply using 2 coats of quality paint - the first acts as primer. There is no need for specialty primer because the texture coat is pretty much by definition clean, dry, and a good substrate for paint. Another reason is that you might be perfectly satisfied with the first coat only of a quality paint.

Reply to
jeffc

Thanks, Jeff.

Kathy