Termites

I'm cross-posting here from another group and would appreciate any information on termite extermination. I googled it and found tons of hits on that subject but I would also like to read what anyone has to say who's had experience with those disgusting insects. Thanks in advance.

Please no e-mails.

Reply to
~ N i x i ~

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (~ N i x i ~) wrote in news:737-48D44020-866@storefull-

3113.bay.webtv.net:

Once moving to the mid-south I learned of them and found they can be entertaining.

Along with the termites in the mid-south comes fire ants. You learn that if you go near a fire ant mound and tap your foot they come out by the hundreds in a matter of seconds. So you get a piece of wood with termites in it, go to a fire ant mound, put it down and tap your foot. The fire ants come out and are all over the wood in seconds just a munchin' away on termites. Must taste like chicken to 'em.

Reply to
Red Green

This link has some good information, especially for New Jersey:

Reply to
alta47

"~ N i x i ~" wrote

What are your specific questions? It's too open ended a post here for us to help since we dont even know if these are subterrain types or what.

Reply to
cshenk

Termite extermination is not a DIY project. Termites are actually useful in breaking down fallen trees for compost, but of course nobody needs them eating their home. I use a perimeter spray to help prevent termite infestation (keeps out other insects too), plus keeping debris away from the foundation and proper drainage will help.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Jim C

You need to find a local or area source of information, as dominant species vary from region to region and with climate. Your county or state extension service should have info. Florida has loads of info at univ. extension service. An informed homeowner can probably do as good a termite inspection as any inspectors I have seen, but I firmly recommend an annual inspection from a reputable company. Prevention is also very, very important ... sealing up gaps in exterior from plumbing or elect. entry, etc., keeping wood painted, keeping wood debris away from home, keeping landscaping from contacting wood parts of home.

Basicly, there are two types of termite, subteranean and dry wood, and require different methods of control. If there are contractors who give free inspections, call a couple and pick their brains. You need to inform yourself before contracting for any pest control, and have reliable references for them as well.

Reply to
Norminn

That is so last year. The newer technique is an improvement on the bait station chemical and it's a barrier application.

You dig a trench around the perimeter, put in the chemical (Termidor), and cover the trench. Poof! No more termites!

See here:

HeyBub

We had a major problem with exterminating termites.... merely saved our house. It seems it was infested with termites and we had no clue because the breeding was taking place in the basemen. We went for a 2 month vacation. When we came back it was awful. However, we managed to get rid of termites by calling a termite extermination company. They house survived, but we sold it after a short period of time. Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

BrendyLorran