Termite Treatment/Bond

What would be a fair price for 242 linear feet on a house with a crawl space. Thanks!

Reply to
Dutch Buckhead

It will vary by supplier. I got quotes from $ 750-$ 1200 to do our place which had a 300'+ lin stemwall. That also included flooding under the floor slab 2740sf, and two outdoor patio slabs (~another 300 sf) plus a retreat around the foundation after the house was built. I called around and several said they used .5% Dursban..one said .75%. Some didnt have any idea what the % was ?? OR the chemical that they used. I finally settled on a company who I told: I want 1% solution..I want to have the concentrate poured from a factory SEALED can (into their 250 gallon onboard tank)..and I'll calculate, based on the original concentration in the can ( 37% IIRC) til we get the desired 1%. Its been said that some companies will advise they're spraying .5 or .75% but are really using .25% or less. Almost no consumers know the difference or how to figure it out.

The company owner actually said "We like to deal with customers who know what they're doing" He said he normally just sends over one of his hired hands to do the work but in our case, he came over himself. Mixed to the 1% and let 'er rip. My cost was $ 1138 in 1998. NO sign of termites after 5 years (but I resprayed with 1% Dursban & a 2 gal back tank myself each Spring- and I don't have three heads yet) Mine was the only home w/o termites after 5 years.

The next door neighbor had another local outfit come and do their brand new home just before the slabs were poured. Within a month, before the second coat of succo was on the place and before they moved in, the termites were up the stemwall and into the attached garage. I kicked the tubes down daily but they were back the next day. They needed 4 return visits by the crappy company and I still don't think they got it right.

Another neighbor was looking at a framed picture on his wall in his 4 year old home...the frame looked 'odd' so he lifted the picture and found the termites had come up inside the wall thru the crack between the floor slab and the stemwall. Then they tunnelled thru the drywall, eating the paper, out of the drywall and into the picture frame..MMMM ! That was a lot of stemwall drilling and juice pumping after the fact and who knows where else they are in the walls !

So... I d say the price per lineal foot is not really the main thing you should be worried about.

BTW, Chlordane is history and Dursban is now banned for use around homes. I dont know what they are using now but each time they ban one chemical, the substitute seems to be less able to do the job.

Soon, all we'll be able to use is a flyswatter or a hammer ! Good luck,

Rudy