How To Cut Aluminum

I have acquired a roll of aluminum that is about 12 in. wide. The tin shears we inherited are not sharp at all. What I want to do is cut it into strips and would love to find a way to lay it flat and cut it with sharp knife or something. Husband says he doesn't think that will work. What do people do who need straight edge - long strips? Thanks.

Reply to
Dorot29701

sharp utility knife. score it a couple o times and snap it like drywall

Reply to
The Schmankster

I had to cut some flashing a couple years ago without any tools. So I used a long 2x4 and laid that where I wanted to bend the aluminum, and then I formed a 90 degree corner around the edge of the 2x4 and then hammered the seam flat with a regular hammer. Aluminum does not flex well, and it just broke off as I flattened it out with the hammer.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000

wrote

No doubt you probably do not have access to a brake for aluminum, so make due with simple tools. Word of caution, aluminum and the tools I'm going to tell you to use, can cut you. Handle with care.

If you're cutting multiple pieces the same length, cut the length first.

On a concrete floor or drive, uncoil the stock approx. one foot longer than needed. Set a weight (stone.brick, board, anything) on the end, and a weight on the other end near coil. Make sure the concrete doesn't have debris between the stock and the surface, aluminum stock will dent easily.

Place a check with a pencil on each edge for the desired length. Use a 1"x material for your straight edge, or a framing square. Line the straight edge up with your marks, hold in place with a knee, take a _sharp_ razor knife and run along the straight edge on the aluminum using slight pressure. Pull the knife towards you, you can make two passes, but usually one pass will do. Remove the straight edge and weights, you'll want to bend the aluminum reverse (backwards) of the cut. The aluminum will snap clean.

You'll want to make sure you don't kink the aluminum, I always found it easier to cut and snap in the shade instead of the sun, even using a brake.

Reply to
Moisés Nacio