Termite preventive maintenance

Our house is four years old. We have tubes in the wall and every three months pest control company comes and sprays inside the walls through those tubes. Recently we've been seeing ants in the kitchen and in master bath. In the past four years we havent' re-caulked those areas. Only after seeing ants I recaulked the shower area and kitchen.

I was wondering this ant problem is a wake up call for a more regular preventive maintenance! At what age of the house do we start evaluating for termite prevention? Since our house is four years old, can we rely on the pest control guys for few more years or should we start thinking about termite prevention?

We live in the south. so the temperatures are pretty mild in winter and hot in summer.

Thanks.

Reply to
tedneeley

evaluating

thinking

Years back, termite protection (Chlordane)lasted about 30 years. Then the government got involved, took it off the market, and the replacement (Dursban) lasted 5-7 years. Now it has been banned also, and the new product "might" last 2-3 years. Unless you're very knowledgeable about pesticides and their application, I would suggest a yearly application by your local pest control folks.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) I was wondering this ant problem is a wake up call for a more regular :) preventive maintenance! At what age of the house do we start evaluating :) for termite prevention? Since our house is four years old, can we rely :) on the pest control guys for few more years or should we start thinking :) about termite prevention? :) :) I'm in Dallas and the thought is homes with a sprinkler system will probably get termites with 4-7 years, the homes that don't have the systems will get them 7-10 years. The regular pest service would have no real effect on termites other than maybe pushing them into the interior of the home rather than them just entering along the foundation. My preference for preventative would be a termidor application on at least the perimeter. Many companies will gladly install baiting systems since the monitoring generates revenue for them year round, but none would protect the home as well as a minimal termidor treatment and many companies will treat the perimeter with termidor then set up the baits anyway. Check around with friends/neighbors on who they use and trust, check several companies, usually the established local company will service you better at a more friendly price. Every company will have their own ideas on pricing. As for me a preventative is usually $200-$300 cheaper on average than the same home with termites found and I doubt I'm the only one out there offering the price break, though you may have to check with a number of companies.

Reply to
Lar

You would be best off with a termite contract for best protection. Termites live in the ground below the surface in total darkness. They tunnel upwards to the wood by creating a dirt tunnel around them. This is what you would see under a house or up the side of a brick/block. Effective termite treatment is done in the soil where they live not inside the walls of the house. By the time they get to the walls damage is being done. During the spring months termites swarm and if you see what looks like ants with wings--these are probably termites. I have a termite contact and have had damage in the past which they had to replace/repair a 20 foot section. Occasionally, I go under my house and inspect for these dirt tunnels since I don't really trust all the termite inspecters. Termites need moisture to live so they dryer you can keep the soil around your house the better off you'll be.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Joey

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) and the new product "might" last 2-3 years. Unless you're very :) knowledgeable about pesticides and their application, I would suggest a :) yearly application by your local pest control folks. :) :) :) Actually many of the old timers seem to like the newest products better than chlordane. Less call backs.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net says... :) On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:44:27 -0500, Lar :) wrote: :) :) >Actually many of the old timers seem to like the newest products better :) >than chlordane. Less call backs. :) :) Which newest products? :) :) Termidor, I have yet to have a call back on any home treated with it and the Gou't testing shows it to be the only product on the market since chlordane to go over 7 years at 100% effectiveness, It's now over 10 years at 100% effectiveness with the tests...

Phantom, I haven't used it for termite work, but it has surpassed it's claims when it comes to indoor ant and roach control and many of the "experts" that speak at the various seminars I have to attend like it better than Termidor.

Reply to
Lar

Anything that effective has got to prove harmful to .1% of lab rats, which tells me the Gov't will pull it's use real soon. :>)

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Which newest products?

Reply to
Roy Starrin

Joey, I have dry wood termites leaving fecal pellets on my window sill. They do not have any moisture needs as they get it from the wood itself.

I have the other kind too!

JimL

Reply to
JimL

Reply to
Brett Miller

In article , snipped-for-privacy@miller.com says... :) I was thinking about treating some wood with :) termite poison and burying it around the house in a small bottle. :) The bottle would be buried inverted to keep out the water. :) Would this be ok, or would it be a half ass attempt at making :) something like sentra con? :) :) Speaking of Simple Con...er Sentricon....

these two pictures are on opposite side of the foundation wall. This home was on service since April '99... $2900 install $380 a year to maintain..the tube, I would guess is 3-6 years old..probably closer to 6

Sentricon is a growth regulator that interrupts the the growth of the insect not a true toxin. Any of the termite liquids you would be able to use legally will have a repellency to them so the termites would just avoid the stations you make...as the home above shows, there is no guarantee the termites will go to any baits stations to begin with.

Reply to
Lar