temperature sensors

Hi,

I'm on a quest against my ugly thermostat that controls heat and A/C. Is there a solution that includes an elegant temperature sensor that sends the information to the thermostat that's hidden in a closet?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

Sam Takoy wrote in news:hi2rm2$926$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

I suppose you could modify a digital thermostat; unsolder the thermistor temp sensor and splice in extension wiring,install the thermostat in your closet and run the thermistor wiring to where you want to sense the room temp. I don't think yo want to use more than [SWAG]

10 feet of extension wire,or you'd pick up noise. The thermistor is a tiny little bead with two wires coning out of it,about 2mm in diameter.You could hide that almost anywhere,even put it in the edge of a picture frame. But it needs access to airflow.
Reply to
Jim Yanik

It's just a resistor; a couple dozen feet of wire shouldn't affect anything.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You can get remote indoor temperature sensors for Honeywell Vision Pro thermostats

Reply to
RBM

Hi, I wonder why you are hiding the 'stat in a closet? If tampering is an issue you can have a lockable enclosure for the 'stat.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, What if it is SMT based board? Being ATD circuit, if extra length of wire is involved, temperature calibration may go off. Noise on a low voltage analog circuit? What kinda noise please?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

He called it "ugly"

Reply to
clare

Hi, If worry about inteference to the wires then use twited pair shielded wires grounding it only at one end. That'll do it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, If noise is a conern use shielded twisted pair wire and ground the shield at one end only.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Years ago I bought a Thermostat with about 50ft of wire and a temp sensor attached for use in an apartment building, the sensor was about

1/4" x 1". Google for, wired remote sensor thermostats. The sensor also had a metal clip like a paper clip to be hung like under a picture frame or mirror. There are wireless units but the modules are big, maybe 2x2x1 , but iy could go in a fake planter on a desk, but you need airflow. Wireless are made by name brands like Honywell, White Rogers I believe.Go with a name brand not HD types.
Reply to
ransley

Are you married? If so, just mount a switch in the closet. Need heat? Have wife flip switch on. Warm enough? Have wife turn heat off. You can also mount the switch near the fridge so she can grab a beer for you at the same time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski