Telephone noise problem

I have very strange problem, and hope someone out there has an idea how to fix it. I have a 2-line phone, but I get a loud hum on line #2 when I have both lines plugged into the phone. When just line #1 is connected, the signal is very clear. I am pretty sure that the problem is inside, since I've checked each line at the NIC outside, and both are clear. I have replaced the standard twisted pair wiring with cat-5, but that hasn't helped. I thought it was the phone and had that replace, but that didn't fix it, either. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
bs0323

buffalobill

You probably once had a "Princess" phone with a lighted dial, and the transformer that ran the light is still connected. Look for a little gray "wall-wart" with a wire running to a phone junction box.

Reply to
CJT

The first apartment I had had one of those. The phone had been removed but the wall-wart was still there.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Bill,

Looks like most of the troubleshooting has been done. The question I have is were both incoming CO lines at the NIC plugged into the phone the same way it was in the house so that the test was a true test duplicating the in-house set up (as opposed to testing the two lines independently)? Normally a jack is wired to the RJ14 standard for two line sets, but I have seen a few phones that put line one on one jack and line two on another so that the phone uses RJ11 instead of an RJ14 set up:

If the lines are good at the NIC and work when plugged into the phone like they were in the house and the problem goes away, then you pretty much have identified the problem as an inside the house problem if the exact same phone was used. New wires installed and pinned out properly and problem is still there? New jack too? If a new wire was installed AND a new jack was installed too (from the NIC or a cross connect point in the house?) and the problem is still there, then it would seem like a phone problem, but the E-mail says new phone was used too.

Does the phone have features that require a plug in power supply? Perhaps the problem is power related at that location. Bad ground issue? Sometimes a hum is caused by the line touching ground somewhere or sometimes a proper ground missing from a business phone system causes an open ground hum.

Will phone work without plug-in power supply, then try with power off.

That's my 2-cents.

Carlos M. Mendoza, Jr. CM Communications Data - Video - Voice - Fiber Optics Office: (716) 831-9799 Fax: (716) 831-7073 Cell: (716) 445-1537 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to