I believe I recently exposed my room to asbestos fibers when I opened
up 2 electrical outlets that had been sealed up for at least 30 years.
One of the electrical boxes was clean, but the other one was filled
with plaster dust and cloth sheathing fraying around the wires..
Because of the age of these materials I am assuming they contained
I first fixed the electrical receptacle, which required removing an
inch of the dust and fraying cloth. Then I cleaned up the dust with wet
paper towels and picked up all the visible pieces of cloth fiber which
had spilled to the floor. Now I would like to do a thorough cleaning of
the rest of the room.
I know that a brief exposure to high levels of asbestos is not
extremely hazardous, but I still want to remove as much of the material
Questions on cleaning asbestos:
A) Are static dust wipes effective in picking up the tiny asbestos
B) What is the best way to clean books and bookshelves? I'm planning to
use a air duster and a portable Black & Decker Dust Buster with HEPA
filtration and Cyclonic Action.
C) Do you think I have to bother wiping vertical walls and surfaces?
D) For floors, what is the best chemical solution for removing
asbestos: plain water, lysol, or some type of wood cleaner?