Tecumseh Questions

Yup, a drill with a socket adapter and a socket, snapped it clean off. I watched it happen.

Reply to
None

Then it would have come apart with a box end wrench too - It was already damaged. I've used a CP734 on those nuts trying to take them apart when siezed, and torquing them back on and I've NEVER broken one. I've stripped them. but never broke one - and a 734 will put out

425 ft lb of torque in reverse, and 325 tightening No 1/2 inch drill on earth will put out that kind of torque. For instance a Millwaukee M18 puts out a meesly 500 in lb .
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Carb is almost new. I was looking at carb kits last fall and saw the compl ete carb for only a little more and got one. Ran great for a time...I was even getting out the digital strobe to adjust the speed. The period when i t was not starting or even sputtering was *after* the new carb.

That doesn't mean it can't be clogged now. But as it runs fairly smoothly (other than being seemingly ungoverned) I don't think so.

But that's all past history and given as background info.

My questions were:

Why would pulling the breather hose stop the engine?

How common is governor failure on a Tecumseh?

Suggestions to buy a new mower, however well intended, don't answer the que stions. I guess no one likes a mystery.

Reply to
Steve

plete carb for only a little more and got one. Ran great for a time...I wa s even getting out the digital strobe to adjust the speed. The period when it was not starting or even sputtering was *after* the new carb.

y (other than being seemingly ungoverned) I don't think so.

You said it has lots of blow-by. So, with the hose connected that was going into the carb. That blow-by is not air, it spent combustion gases with no oxygen. So, removing that from the intake air flow would change the mixture and that in turn could cause it to stall. That's a plausible possibility.

IDK. Does the governor move at all in response to load?

uestions. I guess no one likes a mystery.

Reply to
trader_4

Yeah that's the only thing that makes sense unless there is some passage fr om that connector to the intake end of the carb but I doubt that's the case . BUT the countervailing argument is that the carb is not adjustable so it 's not like it was adjusted with substantial blow-by taken into account.

I actually don't know if blow-by is excessive since I've not compared to ot hers. As a single cylinder engine I know with the volume behind the single piston undergoing constant and considerable change I figure there will be a lot of movement in and out of the breather. I don't know if there is a o ne-way valve that causes only crankcase output to go to the carb or if it b reathes back in that way as well. That would give it the benefit of filter ed air.

I have to say, having grown up on one Tecumseh-powered mower after another, I miss adjustable carbs. In fact I'm surprised they work at all since no two engines or carbs are precisely the same so whatever mixture is built in to the fixed carb cannot be as optimum as adjusting for the best.

No, not seeing any movement. AND the kicker is that IIRC the throttle shou ld go to wide open when the engine is stopped. It does not. Just stays ag ainst the minimum stop.

It does bog down a little in heavier grass but not as much as I would have expected. While I have not measured the speed, I've got the limit screw fo r min throttle set for a more or less normal sound when it's above concrete with no load. Maybe a bit on the fast side but if so, not by much.

Reply to
Steve

from that connector to the intake end of the carb but I doubt that's the ca se. BUT the countervailing argument is that the carb is not adjustable so it's not like it was adjusted with substantial blow-by taken into account.

others. As a single cylinder engine I know with the volume behind the sing le piston undergoing constant and considerable change I figure there will b e a lot of movement in and out of the breather. I don't know if there is a one-way valve that causes only crankcase output to go to the carb or if it breathes back in that way as well. That would give it the benefit of filt ered air.

r, I miss adjustable carbs. In fact I'm surprised they work at all since n o two engines or carbs are precisely the same so whatever mixture is built into the fixed carb cannot be as optimum as adjusting for the best.

I agree. I just put a new carb on a leaf blower that never ran right from w hen it was new. It ran better on half choke. With the new one, it runs bett er and with choke off. Turns out the problem that lead me to buy the new ca rb wasn't the car though. It was carbon on the piston ring, causing it to j amb up, instead of springing out to seal. With that fixed and the new carb it's better than new.

I think you can buy adjusting tools for most carbs, just can't do it the ol d easy way. And I'll bet that running it on half choke is what contributed to the carbon build-up.

ould go to wide open when the engine is stopped. It does not. Just stays against the minimum stop.

Have you looked at the online websites that sell parts? They have diagrams that show how it's put together and you can probably figure out how the gov ernor works and how to check or inspect it.

e expected. While I have not measured the speed, I've got the limit screw for min throttle set for a more or less normal sound when it's above concre te with no load. Maybe a bit on the fast side but if so, not by much.

Reply to
trader_4

No, it was a Milwaukee 3/4", AC powered, triple gear reduction drill. Something like this, but 25 years old or older.

None

when it was new. It ran better on half choke. With the new one, it runs be tter and with choke off. Turns out the problem that lead me to buy the new carb wasn't the car though. It was carbon on the piston ring, causing it to jamb up, instead of springing out to seal. With that fixed and the new ca rb it's better than new.

old easy way. And I'll bet that running it on half choke is what contribute d to the carbon build-up.

I would disagree with that last part. If it ran better on half choke it me ans there was some clogging in the carb and the choking is what was necessa ry to deliver the proper mix. Your part choke was not making it too rich w here that might cause carbon build-up; it was delivering exactly the right mix.

s that show how it's put together and you can probably figure out how the g overnor works and how to check or inspect it.

I know enough to know that on the typical Tecumseh the governor is actually a little flyweight thing deep in the engine and that's what moves the shaf t that has the lever that is just behind the air cleaner, which links to th e carb. It is not something you can get to (that I am aware of) except if totally dismantling the engine. Which may be the final fate of this engine . The final bit of entertainment!

Reply to
Steve