Teak slat

I have seen in magazines with shower that has a teak slat mat that sort of look like this:

I assume teak will not rot? Is it termite proof as well?

I have an area in my courtyard that may get wet it used to be a planter area but now I am thinking of making a teak slat to the right size and set it flushed with the rest of the deck.

Home centers do not generally sell teak, and I inquired a few lumber yard and some do sell 6' long marine grade planks...but I am looking for something thinner (2" wide max) to use in the slat, and it does not have to be finished.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

Unless you can cut it to size (or pay to have it cut to size) you aren't likely to be able to do this. In any event, consider ipe instead. Half the price of teak and probably more widely available. Likely the lumber yard would cut it to size for a charge.

Reply to
jack

Teak is very expensive and few places carry it. I go along with Jack and the ipe. Should last 50 years with no treatment, longer if you put some Penofin oil on it every few years. Ipe is often used for decking. Last time I priced it a few years ago, the deck planks were $2.19 a linear foot.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Use SS fasteners, from below. Here's another great application for a table saw.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207