Tankless natural gas water heater

I have a Navian tankless water heater that I have had for about 8 years. I have had nothing but problems. I want to change it out to either a Rinnai or a Rheem water heater. I need about a 9.5 gpm or greater at 199,000BTU rating. I already have the 3/4" gas line and the 3/4" water line and the condensate drain set up plus the 3" PVC vent lines so there is no reason to discuss these. My question is which one is better. I would like one with a recirculating pump
On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:58:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would suspect either one will be better than you had, as the technology has matured somewhat - but either one is still liable to be more trouble than "I" would put up with. Cut your losses and install a tank unit.
On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 3:53:20 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

Several weeks ago on 'Ask This Old House' Richard Trethewy (I hope I spelled that correctly) went to a man's house that had one of these tankless water heaters that was giving him problems. Boy, what a set up he had, but Richard reminded the audience you WILL have trouble with these type of water heaters just like you will with a regular tank system. The warranty is about the same but the expense is terrible considering the length of service is no better. True, you don't have a standing tank and only use the water when needed but for that amount of money and set up I'd expect a 25 year guarantee. I guess that's one of the reason I opted for another regular hot water heater last year.
On 6/13/2018 11:19 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

It is not an option on our new house in spite of other energy saving options. Gas with regular tank. OK by me.
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 8:02:40 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Big factor for me is with a tank you have hot water during power outages that lasts at least a day, if you use it reasonably. You could even take a couple of very quick showers if necessary. And with natural gas and a basic tank type with a pilot light, you have unlimited hot water.
On 6/14/18 5:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:

if you can't go a couple of days without a shower, you should see a doctor about that
On 06/14/2018 07:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

That (having hot water during a power outage) is important for me too. Also, power outages often happen on the coldest days.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 6/14/18 1:38 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

just curious, when the power goes out, short of a hurricane, how long does that last and if it lasts days, does the ability to pump water still exist?
On 6/15/2018 9:10 PM, ZZyXX wrote:

With town wter it is pumped as they have backup power. My tank would last a couple of days.

That;s ok when they work - - - -
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 7:02:40 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I was raised in a house with gas heat, kitchen range, and water heater. This house is also gas powered and I love that IF I should run out of hot water the recovery is so fast!
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 9:00:38 AM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Yep. I see tankless fitting special applications, like where you really need unlimited hot water in large quantity, frequently. Like maybe a big shore rental property, where 8 people could be coming back from the beach at the same time. But for a typical home, there is little advantage and a lot of downside. The only advantage I'd see is eliminating standy losses. But, as I've said before, the whole gas bill here in summer is ~$17, which includes hot water and some gas grilling outside. That hot water includes usage and standby loses at the tank. So, how big could the standby losses be? Clearly they aren't significant and that's with a basic tank, with pilot. The next step up would be a higher efficiency tank type that would reduce standby losses more. So, I've never seen the math.
I'm feeling a little bad for the OP. No one can give him advice on which unit to buy, problem is I don't recall seeing anyone on here who has one. He's in a little different situation, he's already got one so no issues with running gas lines sufficient to support it, etc, all the usual stuff. But from what I've seen, the tankless unit itself costs ~$700 more than a tank type. I don't see the math adding up.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 06:00:34 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

So?? Tank or tankless??
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 10:19:50 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

I answered that question in the very thread you asked 'Tank or tankless??'