Switch/outlet wiring question

I have some Pass & Seymour/Legrand switches (and receptacles) that have connection options described on their Web site as follows:

"Exceptionally easy to install, with side or screw-pressure-plate backwiring for line and load terminals.

Two backwire holes per termination add wiring flexibility. Fewer pigtails mean more room in the box."

Can I mix a "looped" connection (wire looped around under the screw head) and one or more back-wired connections to the same terminal on the device, thus providing the possibility of having three wires to the one terminal? What about just two connections, but with one wire under the pressure plate and one looped around under the screw head?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I use the Levetron backwire outlets. (In the red 10pk box at HD) Theses have 4 holes per side (2 sets per receptacle), so unless your are splitting the outlet, you will have 4 holes on each side. I have never done one with a loop wire around the terminal and with backwires, but I don't see why you can't. Just make good and sure the wire on the terminal is square and flush under the screw and against the terminal. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

It is possible (I have even done it...) but may not be a good idea. Unless both go tight at the same time, one will be loose. Obviously.

Reply to
toller

On 07/31/05 10:44 pm Kevin Ricks tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

OK, but these are different from the Leviton ones. These do not have often-criticized "back-stab" connections with only spring pressure against the wire: on the P&S ones the screw clamps the wire between the pressure-plate and the body of the switch.

Neverthless, I guess the same principle applies.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy