Sump pump

Is it normal for a sump pump pit to have mud in it? Should I do something to it? What other problems might that cause?

Reply to
SHEILA Hasse

That depends on the environment and what the sump pump is pumping. The sump pump pit at my farmhouse shouldn't have mud in it. It pumps water from a basement sink and shower. An outside sump pump pit could be an entirely different story depending on circumstances. Mud could plug the pump and make it wear quicker than one pumping clean water.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Does the pit have a solid, (maybe concrete) floor under the mud ? If it is just a dirt bottom, the yes it can get muddy. If there is a floor, then mud can build up depending on where water is coming from into the sump. Dirty rain water, dirty wash water, etc could build up mud over some time.

Reply to
Grampy

If it sucks up enough mud it can clog the pump or the outlet. I'd dig it down another 3" to 4" and put a layer of brick on the bottom.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski