Sump hole

I have a small sump hole in my basement 12inch wide X 20 deep. I get really short cycles...the water comes in about 3 inches from the bottom of the hole from drainage pipe. Is the solution a deeper sump hole and is it expensive to have one done in a concrete basement? I'd have to hire out for this. Would a plumber be the one to call? Thanks!

Reply to
altitude

Is the pump sitting on the bottom of the pit? If so, you might try just putting some bricks in the pit, and setting the pump on those.

Reply to
Matt

Depending on how far the sump fills before the pump turns on, you might be able to adjust the switch to allow a somewhat longer cycle.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Agreed. There is almost always an adjustment possible; never saw a sump without one. It sounds like the lowest the water can get is three inches, so ... that means the pump is sitting too far down. It should be raised up to give more travel for the switch float/sensor. More water will come in before it switches on, the cycles will be longer, and the pump will like it better.

Instead of putting bricks under it, most sumps also have handles on top so they can be hung from something above them. Then you can set the height at different places to test things out. Won't work of course if there's nothing to hang it from. Then it's back to the bricks or similar.

Or ... the sump could simply be too big for the application. Rather than making the holde deeper or wider, it would be better to see if that sump is bigger than it needs to be. Next time you're in the local store that sells them, check the specs on the boxes for the size pump you need for a hole that size.

A plumber could probably help you figure it out, but do NOT let them make the hole bigger; it shouldn't be necesary - what you have is fine for sump operation.

There is a valve to keep the pumped water from coming back in, right? Without that valve, you might be getting back everything you pump out. Normally the valve will make a "clunk" sound right after the pump shuts off, if it's there and working right. VERY important to have. And cheap to buy if it's not there.

Persh the thought of excavation - there IS another fix!

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop