On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:38:38 -0400, "Robert Green"
this is ANOTHER danger...the vapors from the acid. concentrated acid
vapors TRAVEL and will mix with ANY water...such as material remaining
on the shower walls, etc...
and if you have pets in the house, they often do drink water from the
shower (ours do).
Some toilet bowl cleaners are (were) sodium bisulfate (Vanish for
example). Sodium bisulfate is a powder which when mixed with water
forms sulfuric acid.
I wouldn't mix methods. I think sulfuric acid and chlorine products can
result in poisonous gas.
the concentration is unknown. pouring acid into water can lead to a
raid dissociation reaction which can throw all kinds of stuff back in
your face. AND the residue left behind...even a few drops...will be
i'm an MS chemist. i use H2SO4 routinely in my work. you do NOT want
to do this. H2SO4 has some great properties when used in certain
applications but it should NEVER be used for THIS applicatiion!
I've used liquid pool acid many times to clean up toilets in rentals
as well as to clean off calcium and soap scum on shower doors and
enclosures. I think it's muratic acid and I don't know how that might
differ from sulfuric or if it's the same stuff by a different name.
Scotch toilet bowl "restorer" is nothing but sulphuric acid. Can be used for
regular cleaning, too. Just be cautious with it: it can ruin your day if it gets
on you. Also, a strong, almost explosive reaction can occur when it reacts with
whatever you pour it on.
I've used swimming pool acid to clean horribly stained toilets in
rentals and the only problem is the fumes. You want to turn the
exhaust fan on and/or open the window for plenty of ventilation. For
normal cleaning the acid based store cleaners seem to work well. The
non-acid ones are a waste of money.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.