Suggestions for sanding 6" square parquet flooring

Hello All,

I want to refinish a room with 6" square solid parquet wood tiles.

Not sure if a drum or orbital would be best to use. The grain on each tile is turned 90 degrees.

The floor is in pretty good shape it just needs to be refinished.

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Unless you have done it before, avoid the drum sanders, they are hard to control, and with your alternate grain patterns would probably not do a good job if you are at all fussy about the finished appearance.

Reply to
hrhofmann

This looks good. Google search brought me to a nice video. Didn't know these existed.

Interesting the website I went to had a store locator. Homedepot was listed. The tool rental guy didn't even mention this.

The sander that he was referring too was the "big square orbital machines" @ $45/24 hr

Like I said the floors are actually in pretty good shape. What sand paper grades would you suggest?

Reply to
Brent Bolin

Been there, done that. What worked to perfection was a Porter Cable random orbit 6" sander. Got the sandpaper from Klingspors, and found that the aggressive lower grits were not necessary for a nice job. The RO sander worked much faster than I expected and the whole hundred something square feet was done in a couple of hours nearly glass smooth. Dust control was very good as well. After that experience, the RO is a much more frequently used item in the shop. Interesting side note, the RO with 60 grit paper will remove old paint faster than anything I have used before, and the paper seems to clog far less.

Joe

Reply to
Joe