Stupid electric eye

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! wrong. if you disconnect the wires, it won't work at all.

thanks for playing though.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Phisherman

Doesn't the electric-eye business just prevent an inconvenient bruise? By that I mean if the door actually HITS an obstruction, won't it automatically reverse anyway?

I thought the electric eye sensors were to prevent a bump on the head, not to prevent the life squeezed out of you by a relentless motor that says "I'm gonna put this goddamn door down no matter what!"

I suppose you could pull your car half-way into the garage such that the safety beams were unimpeded as they shined underneath the car. If so, are you in danger of a home-made car-crusher? I don't think so.

Reply to
HeyBub

Apparently, the concern is for small kids who aren't "hard" enough to trip the reverser...

Reply to
Robert Neville

On Sun 28 Dec 2008 01:58:51p, Robert Neville told us...

Any "small kid" trying to get into my garage deserves being bopped by the garage door. Got no kids; don't want no kids.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

i can stick ONE finger under mine and it will reverse without moving my hand so much as a half inch. I don't think kids are that soft..... It's all governmental bullshit.

Steve Barker

=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD Wayne Bo= atwright =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD

yeah but would you want your neighbors 3 year old who wandered for just a minute killed trying to get in your garage? =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF= =BF=BD

because you disabled the safety system???=EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF= =BF=BD =EF=BF=BD =EF=BF=BD

Reply to
hallerb

On Sun 28 Dec 2008 06:33:17p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com told us...

My opener is probably 30+ years old and works like new. I wouldn't replace it just for that reason. It does have auto-reverse based on pressure, but no electric eye. If I had a neighbor with a 3 year old, then I'd suggest they keep a better eye on it and teach it not to go on other people's property.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Steve pointing at Wayne: "What he said".....

Steve Barker

Fail-safe systems often fail by failing to fail safe.

A better safety feature would be, in my estimation, an audio device. It could be two-way. Before activating the closing sequence it would go "Beep-beep-beep... The door is closing. Please stand back. The door is closing..." like on subway trains.

Of course this wouldn't work too well for someone trying to sneak home without waking the wife after a night of debauchery.

Anyway, the reversing mechanism would come into play if the audio device detected unabated screaming.

Reply to
HeyBub

So you think that a working safety device is a bad idea. Do you have any idea what would happen if a neighborhood kid was injured by that door that you had intentionally disabled?

It is not difficult to get those devices working as they should. I have found if you install and maintain them with minimal effort, they are very reliable.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

And if the auto reverse is properly set the magic eye is totally redundant.

And if you want to wisable them, it is as simple as not installing them.

Reply to
clare

It sees you.

Reply to