Straw House

Porky was really huffing and puffing in the hospital.

So hay is unrefined manure.

Reply to
Neill Massello

There is nothing that stops the humidity in the attic from turning it into mush tho. The vapor barrier is typically installed on the top of the ceiling drywall and the warm moist air is in the attic in the summer. The dew point here is generally below the temperature of the air in the house and hence the ceiling. Moisture starts condensing on the bottom of the cellulose stack and it turns to a gray mat. I can mail anyone a sample if you like. I have an attic full. It even compromised the R-19 fiberglass under it. I ended off worse than I would have been if the previous owner had just said no to the cellulose salesman.

Reply to
gfretwell

Former neighbors in Wisconsin built a straw house two decades ago. Still standing, good as new (and a heck of a view from 600' over the mighty muddy).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

When I worked for Sweetheart they were making the styrofoam clamshells for McDonalds. McDonalds was very fussy about the exact color. It was all virgin material as in it had never left the plant but the flawed parts were ground and fed back into the process. The color McDonalds specified was a result of a certain percentage of regrind. If the process was running good and there wasn't much regrind the clamshells could get too pale rather than their usual bachelor beige color.

Those were the good old days when they bought Freon by the railcar.

The best part of the job was the rejects off the sugar cone line... A sugar cone starts off with something that looks like a commercial taco line before they're rolled so if you snagged one that hadn't filled properly it was still warm and soft.

Reply to
rbowman

What is this "vapor barrier" of which you speak? ;)

The builder of our house nailed up the vintage 1947 drywall and skim-coated it with plaster. At some time later (I conjecture) someone blew in loose insulation. Certainly the bottom layers have vermiculite mixed in, which suggests asbestos. Perhaps during the 1970s energy crisis?

We're not as humid as you are, but we still consider 50% R.H. a nice, dry day.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I think the 70s is when the boom in the shredded newspaper insulation started. It was seen as a win-win. Newspaper was not worth enough as scrap to truck very far and it had some insulating properties. I wouldn't even bet this crap I have was treated with anything. I talked to an insulation company and they wanted more to remove this than they charged for the new insulation. Having a 2.5 : 12 roof pitch doesn't help. It will be very hard to get more than about half of it. This house really doesn't have much insulation at all anyway. There is none in the walls. It was built before AC was a real thing and we don't use much heat here. I am sure we have ever had the central heat on (toaster wire in the air handler). The wire in the thermostat wasn't hooked up from about 10-12 years ago when we put in the new system. I found it hanging when I was working on something else.

Reply to
gfretwell