Storage Near Furnace and Hot Water Heater

Hello, Recently purchased a place with little storage. The main floor has a small area where the furnace and hot water heater are set up. There is an area approximately 3 ft. wide by 5 ft. deep that is empty next to them. Can I use this as storage? It seems like quite a bit of extra room and the place is brand new. I was thinking a shelving system or similar to store brooms, ironing boards, vacuum cleaner, etc. (no chemicals, obviously).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reply to
seglie

The heater may have some stickers saying how much clearance is needed. The minimum is usually 12" or so. Check the owners manual or check to see if there is one on line.

Next is service, You must have access for service to filters, burners, etc. Since you will be paying for service by the hour, make it easy for the tech and your wallet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nothing combustible (paper or poly or cloth), and keep in mind you'll have to drag it all out of there anytime anyone needs to work on the furnace or water heater. Leave at least a foot of air space around the furnace and water heater.

Personally, the most I would put in there is stuff that would hang on wall hooks, and still leave a clear zone.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers